The options market seems untradeable now

Discussion in 'Options' started by floho, Mar 19, 2020.

1. ironchef

ironchef

There is actually something much better and easier than tastytrade and Option Alpha for Joe Sixpack:

There is this recent Ad on Yahoo Finance of a testimonial from someone who went from $80K in debt to making $2.8M trading options in his spare time in a year. Said we could do the same, just joined for $xxx a month!

In all seriousness, amateur retails can certainly make money trading options but for this amateur, I had to work very hard just to find one profitable trade. :banghead:

#21     Mar 20, 2020
    drcruz likes this.
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

Managing a bunch of positions (especially if you're a net seller, vol is through the roof and bid/asks are awful) WHILE working a day job is a nightmare, that's for sure...especially if you're in a staff meeting or car when it goes down.

#22     Mar 20, 2020
    ironchef likes this.
  3. newbie463

newbie463

Ive sold ATM SPY puts (usually at the open) for the past couple of weeks and done really well due to the vol. I could really tell it dropped today.

#23     Mar 21, 2020
  4. Bekim

Bekim

You can get screwed if you are not paying attention but their is opportunity’s well. You gotta be strict with what your willing to pay and do a shit load of cancel and replacing orders.

#24     Mar 21, 2020

5. Welcome to the deep end of the pool.

#25     Mar 21, 2020
    Developer and .sigma like this.
  6. FSU

FSU

Excellent. I may have to steel that one from you.

#26     Mar 21, 2020
  7. .sigma

.sigma

Can you give an example exactly what bid/ask's are you trying to trade, or not trade rather

#27     Mar 22, 2020
  8. .sigma

.sigma

Is this pool... dark, by any chance?

#28     Mar 22, 2020
  9. I just tinker with puts and only on SPY.

#29     Mar 22, 2020
  10. Matt_ORATS

Matt_ORATS Sponsor

Good point floho
    Bid-ask spreads have popped to double the levels of the global financial crisis GFC.
    Take this graph of market width of the bid-ask spread in volatility points. It measures the weighted average of the S&P 500 components. In 2008 the bid-ask IV spread was 11%, Feb 2018 was 9%, and the last couple of days market width > 20%.
    [​IMG]
    https://gyazo.com/af36d7d539200fae62ce4552646ff6bd
    Similarly bad for the Nasdaq 100 components, though the components are tighter than the S&P500. The Nasdaq 100 components market width in IV in 2008=8% and the last couple of days market width 15%.
    [​IMG]
    https://gyazo.com/7e251b2c749830826684d0addc1fbe73

The only markets that have held up are the SPY and SPX. Other than that it is terrible out there.
    On these non-liquid names, I have noticed that the fills are the best if you put in spreads. If you put in an order mid market I have not had much luck.

#30     Mar 23, 2020
    Atikon and .sigma like this.