The Optimum Daily Protein Intake for Building Muscle

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

If you workout with weights, protein supplementation really makes sense. The positive effect may not be as great as you think, but some extra protein may result in a kilogram (2.2 lbs) of extra muscle mass over a period of several months. A Canadian exercise scientist from McMaster University comes to this conclusion in a meta-study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

Study
    The meta-analysis by Robert Morton is the largest study of its kind to date. Morton collected 49 trials, involving a total of 1,863 test subjects. Those subjects trained between 6 and 52 weeks with weights. Some of them used whey or soy protein supplements, some didn't. The protein dose varied from 5 to 44 grams per intake.

Results
    In the studies that Morton analyzed, strength training increased the maximum strength by 27 kilos. Protein supplementation added another kilogram to this if the subjects had no experience with strength training. In experienced lifters the max strength increased by 4 kilos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strength training increased the lean body mass by 1 kilo. If the subjects were inexperienced, protein supplementation added 150 g to this. If the subjects were experienced, protein supplementation added 1 kg to the increase of of the fat-free mass.

[​IMG]

As far as optimal total protein intake is concerned [ingestion via regular diet and supplementation]: according to Morton's calculations this was 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day. So for a 200 lb male, that works out to be 145 grams of protein per day.

Higher doses did not lead to an even greater increase of the lean body mass.

[​IMG]

Conclusion
    "There have been mixed messages sent to clinicians, dieticians, and ultimately practitioners about the efficacy of protein supplementation", Robert Morton tells in a press release. [sciencedaily.com February 7, 2018] "This meta-analysis puts that debate to rest."

"Protein intake is critical for muscle health and this research suggests the recommended dietary allowance, of 0.8 g protein per kg per days, is too low."

Source:
    Br J Sports Med. 2017 Jul 11. pii: bjsports-2017-097608.

2. Everyone...should drink milk whey protein shakes -- not just bodybuilders and fitness people.
    I like to blend mine with a banana, oats, and an egg.

That stuff always feels like a fountain of youth, every time I guzzle one down.
    Feels like my skin and brain and organs and cells are reversing. :) -- like a vampire drinking nourishing blood,

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  3. Visaria

Visaria

I note the 1.6g per kilo bodyweight is far less than recommended by bodybuilding forums and the supplement companies etc.

4. Which is understandable because they want to sell as much of their product as possible.
    You can of course consume more protein per day or per meal if you wish to do so. But there is a maximum to what is effectively being used to build muscle mass. More about that is being discussed in this video:

5. Visaria

Visaria

1.6g is slightly on the low side imho...i go with 1.8g per kilo bw but I'm lean bulking atm.

6. Those numbers sound about right and make sense for people who work out. But I don't think you need much supplementation to achieve those numbers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Exactly!.... which is really great news.