The new age of Ayn Rand: how she won over Trump and Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by truetype, Apr 10, 2017.

1. truetype

truetype

2. Cuddles

Cuddles

Didn't know Fox studios had a theatrical release

3. What do you think the chances are that Trump read any book from cover?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Sig

Sig

I think they picked the only two people in Silicon Valley who hold this view (I call bullshit on the Jobs part, even though I'm no fan of his it doesn't jibe with the rest of his public worldview) but put it in the title anyway. If anyone understands the value of an economic ecosystem it's entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley, and the Ayn Rand types in my experience have no concept of economic ecosystems (or any experience actually building a company, for that matter!). I can certainly tell you that you'd get laughed out of almost any gathering in the greater Bay Area if you started quoting Rand in anything but an ironic manner!

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  5. Several years ago, I read both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I shrugged. Both were tedious and poorly written. But they can serve a meaningful purpose. If you or a loved one is diagnosed with an illness and told you only have one month to live, I urge you to read one of Rand's novels; it will seems like years.

I'm reminded of an episode of Elementary a while back where the Sherlock Holmes character called Ayn Rand "the philosopher in chief for the intellectually bankrupt." Well put.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

Well, considering that he's written books, the chances are much better than that of a "price action" cult devotee/imbecile being profitable.

Have a great day!

7. Really? Trump's ghost writer who wrote The Art of the Deal for him said Trump doesn't read:

“I seriously doubt that Trump has ever read a book straight through in his adult life.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

I have no doubt you exercise similar judgment in the markets as you did in your post. So, thank you.

8. MKTrader

MKTrader