The general's comments on gays

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tradermaji, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Originally posted: March 13, 2007
    Warner hits Pace on gay remarks

Posted by Jill Zuckman at 12:05 p.m. CDT

The ranking Republican of the Senate Armed Services Committee sharply rebuked the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Tuesday, taking issue with General Peter Pace’s view that homosexual acts are immoral.

Sen. John Warner (R-Va.), a former Secretary of the Navy, said, “I respectfully but strongly disagree with the chairman’s view that homosexuality is immoral. In keeping with my longstanding respect for the Armed Services committee hearing process, I will decline to comment on the current policy until after such hearings are held.”

The power to schedule hearings rests with the current chairman, Carl Levin (D-Mich.).

But Warner’s comments suggest that he may be willing to revisit U.S. military policy of “don’t ask, don’t tell,’’ which was crafted under President Clinton and backed by Pace. A spokesman said Warner has not discussed his view of the policy in past years.

Pace told The Chicago Tribune Tuesday that “I believe homosexual acts between two individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts."

He said he supports the “don’t ask, don’t tell policy,’’ explaining that "I do not believe the United States is well served by a policy that says it is OK to be immoral in any way.

As an individual, I would not want [acceptance of gay behavior] to be our policy, just like I would not want it to be our policy that if we were to find out that so-and-so was sleeping with somebody else's wife, that we would just look the other way, which we do not. We prosecute that kind of immoral behavior," Pace said.

The general was responding to a question about the Clinton-era policy that is coming under renewed scrutiny amid fears of future U.S. troop shortages. Former Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.), a candidate for president, for example, has sharply criticized the policy and called for it to be dismantled. So has Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination for president.

Pace said the Pentagon should not "condone" immoral behavior by allowing gay soldiers to serve openly. He said his views were based on his personal "upbringing," in which he was taught that certain types of conduct are immoral.

#11     Mar 13, 2007
  2. If anyone needed reminding why Republicans are headed to minority party status, here is a taste from one of their biggest windbags. While Warner did not rebuke Pace, as the article claimed, he did say he disagreed with him and thinks homosexual behavior is just fine. If that is so, why oppose gay marriage? All that stuff in the Bible? Just old-fashioned, at least to the new republican party of Guiliani and Warner. I guess the majority of republican voters who feel differently should just chill out. Who are they to question their leaders and upset people?

#12     Mar 13, 2007
  3. Aren't the repugniklans already a minority in the Senate and House? :D

Don't forget about the questions on where are the Iraqi weapons of mass destruction? :p

#13     Mar 13, 2007
  4. The entire thing is bizarre.

Strategic bombing, napalm, depleted uranium, military secrets , mass civilian casualties, bucking landmine & cluster bomb bans, appaling vet treatment, blatantly illegal and counterproductive prisoner treatment, an ingrained culture of lying and buck passing,
    but people gettin it on is immoral.

#14     Mar 13, 2007
  5. Since when is it military policy to dictate what is moral or immoral?

They are just order followers, not policy makers....

Military has zero business commenting on what is moral...

Ban adultery?

ROTFLMAO....

As if some married soldiers in Iraq ain't getting some trim from some local wearing a veil...and as if their superiors are turning them in....

You continue to crack me up...

#15     Mar 13, 2007
  6. Pay attention. Adultery is a court martial offense. Particularly if it is with another soldier's wifey.

#16     Mar 14, 2007
  7. Your funny. I wasn't aware of the don't don't ask, don't tell rule on adultry LOL. A lot of bible thumpers think according to the bible a blow job from the wife is immoral. Is there a don't ask don't tell rule on blow jobs too? Isn't screwing your wife in the butt also sodomy? Is there a don't ask don't tell rule on man on woman sodomy? Using the lords name in vain is also immoral is that covered in the don't ask don't tell rules also? Patton wouldn't be able to pass the test, wasn't goddamn a common phrase of his, immoral as it is, was. You know your wrong don't you.

#17     Mar 14, 2007
  8. It is their 'policy' that homosexuality is immoral? Hmmm... that's an interesting sentence. 'Policy' refers to actions and regulations. So do you mean that homosexual activity is overtly banned in the military, as in there is a policy statement which says "Soldiers will not engage in sexual acts with member of the same sex"? If this is so, could you provide a link?

I assume you didn't mean that it is the 'opinion' of many generals or the majority of officers that homosexuality is immoral, because that wouldn't necessarily be relevant here.

#18     Mar 14, 2007
  9. traderob

traderob

Both positions are prudish and outdated and should be held in contempt.

#19     Mar 14, 2007
  10. traderob

traderob

The seventh fleet regularly drop anchor in Pattaya in Thailand. Why that little bay, with only a large town you ask?
    Well because it has the largest concentration of prostitutes in the Kingdom, and the sailors are given a joyous welcome for the few days they are there.

#20     Mar 14, 2007