The final days of Whitney Tilson’s Kase Capital

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Mar 22, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

The final days of Whitney Tilson’s Kase Capital
    March 22, 2018 Michelle Celarier Uncategorized Leave a comment

[​IMG]Whitney Tilson is one of several veteran hedge fund managers, including Eton Park Capital Management’s Eric Mindich, Hutchin Hill Capital’s Neil Chriss, Eclectica Asset Management’s Hugh Hendry, and Blue Ridge Capital’s John Griffin, who called it quits in 2017. Small hedge funds come and go with great regularity, but the inability of the industry’s stars to profit as the stock market soared to new heights has raised questions about the viability of the model. Tilson was a much smaller player than the others—at his peak he only managed $200 million—but his experiences are a window into the headwinds that have faced these former masters of the universe.

What distinguishes Tilson from many of his peers is that his willingness to talk about the long, excruciating road down. “It’s hard, after seven years at sucking at something, to wake up and tap dance to work. So, I found myself getting distracted. I wasn’t physically getting out of shape; it was the opposite. I was going and climbing mountains. This one part of my life, I was miserable at; I was having no success. It’s hard to have to self discipline to focus all your attention like a laser, and all your spare time on a particular part of your life, in which you’re getting so much negative reinforcement.”

Here’s my profile of Tilson’s rise, fall and his new venture teaching others what he learned from his mistakes.

https://www.institutionalinvestor.c...he-last-days-of-whitney-tilson’s-kase-capital

vanzandt likes this.
  2. Tilson- all mouth no substance. Just like Gartman

Both are on CNBC constantly. Neither makes money trading the markets.

Visaria likes this.
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

Gartman sure has been doing a good job fooling people he makes money for over 30 years. Or .....?

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

He was trailing the S&P for 7 years, losing 9% in the big rally year of last year. Yet he decides to teach.

Why are we signing up for his course?

Clubber Lang likes this.
  5. Daal

Daal

Whats funny was that he was completely right that BRKB was a steal, year after year. All he had to do was load up on it and stop trying to be so smart. But his clients would have withdrawn and refused to pay fees just to be long BRK so he chased a bunch of stuff and shorted like an idiot

Clubber Lang likes this.
  6. qxr1011

qxr1011

When I hear the words "hedge fund manager" my hand reaches for the revolver (c)