The End Of Win 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big AAPL, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

OK So apparently Win 7 will end support @jan 20. As a Dell Workstation user I have a number of questions.

I have used Win 10 PC's to troubleshoot issues for family and friends and must admit I hate it although I will probably acclimate once I get used to it. I no longer game, so I am looking for suggestions in a used Workstation with the ability to install my own video cards (I still use some older games such as HL1 and 2) because most seem to come with integrated graphics.

Dell outlet seems to have a limited supply of what I am looking for, although EBay has a decent selection of off lease tested machines. Any other sellers you can recommend?

I use 4 monitors so the MB must be able to have the appropriate expansion slots.

Please don't even try to sell me on Apple. I have enough of their useless products.

I am a bit confused on the latest and greatest processors, but I understand how to use passmark scores to determine the most efficient ones available. I don't need the one that came out yesterday.

I mourn the end of Win 7 as it was quite possibly the best OS MS has ever put out.

My sympathies to those in the same boat I am sinking in...

2. Overnight

Overnight

Yes, this truly sux, since Win7 was like the leap from Win 3.1 to Win95. A beautiful leap forward. Win X just reeks of ass, I hate it, and all it's touchy-feely nonsense.

kmiklas likes this.
  3. You'll be able to use W7 for a long time for gaming and office suite functions. Of course over time it will become more and more vulnerable to compromise if accessing the internet.

Any of the workstations in Dell's Precision line will have at least 2 PCIEx16 slots. You can run 2, dual head video cards for a 4x display or a quad card from 1 x16 slot. (I question your comment about "workstations and integrated graphics". I've never seen that.)

How much money do you want to spend and how new of a used one would you like? (I've used Dell workstations and others for the last 15 years, so my knowledge on them is reasonably current.)

Big AAPL likes this.
  4. kmiklas

kmiklas

I’ve had a lot of problems with W10.

I switched to Mac and Ubuntu.

I’ve been happy. Linux has come a long way.

5. kandlekid

kandlekid

I agree. Another happy Linux user :)

kmiklas likes this.
  6. kmiklas

kmiklas

The never-ending forced upgrades and constant network talk really affected performance, and drove me crazy.

M$ is just a little too pushy for me.

7. SteveH

SteveH

Windows 10 on a Dell T3600 Workstation works fine. I have one setup with 6 monitors for trading. I'd recommend 16GB of memory. Many of the surplus ones on eBay going for $200-250 come with this much.

I always get the retail version of Windows 10 Home so I can move it to another PC in the future.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Big AAPL likes this.
  8. If I were looking for a used rig to run W7, I'd choose the T3620 over the T3600. Also would consider HP Z420. (I you wanted to go really cheap, perhaps a Dell T3500. I bought one on eBay for $75 just for a backup.)

9. carrer

carrer

I don't do gaming so I am happy with my Linux machines. They work much better and faster than Windows. Go for stable distros though.

10. Another happy Linux user here. Resistance is futile!

#10     Jun 28, 2019