The Education of a Speculator

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by The_Krakenite, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Well I don't know. I've been finding this more of a bore and never-ending-boring read to try to get through. In fact, I'm just now trying to finish the book off as it's been sitting partially read since the middle of least year or so.

I suppose I could be missing some high-level reading that's sailing over my head, but there is only so much I can take of hearing again and again about tennis and other sports.

Perhaps the bits on gambling on horse-races wasn't so bad. But... I just find this a huge let-down after hearing so much hype about Victor's book. I guess that's the problem with hype... you had better over-deliver.

Someone prove me wrong...

2. Peter8519

Peter8519

It's all hard work and it can't be forced.

I find this book fascinating.
    Jesse Livermore Reminiscences Of A Stock Operator : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    In chapter 12, everyone was trying to coax the market to pay for that fur overcoat.
    Quote from the book.
    What does a man do when he sets out to make the stock market pay for a sudden need? Why, he merely hopes. He gambles.

Next is The Winning Methods of the Market Wizards by Jack Schwager.
    Full Jack Schwager Video - YouTube
    If you don't time, then just skip to 22:00. Highly recommend to watch the entire video.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    jys78 likes this.
  3. jys78

jys78

I enjoyed it. This (and most works like it) should be consumed as entertainment, not some kind of guide.

4. smallfil

smallfil

There is a lot of useful information in the Jack Schwager books on Market Wizards. You do not have to use every bit of information on stock trading or investing out there. Just use the information that helps your trading approach. Each stock trader or stock investor, approaches the stockmarket differently. You use what works for you.

5. canada812

canada812

Read it a long time ago, and was not too impressed.

6. Ive been in this game for 2 decades. If you want to make technicals work you need to customize them in a way that has an edge. They dont work right out of the box.

qlai likes this.
  7. Well it's about 2:47am here, and I just finished the last of it now. I believe there were two books written by him, but I may wait for a long time before I pick up the other.

For now I think I'll go back to studying financial statements for a while, LOL.

8. Overnight

Overnight

When I read that, I thought of how long I have been "in the game".

So compared to you, I have been it in for 8 years, which is .8 decades So you've been in the game over twice as long as I. Eventually, I should be in the game as long as you, and we should be equal in decades given enough time. And my thoughts wandered as they usually do...

9. I forgot to add, I did enjoy SOME of Neiderhoffer's humour. Such as every time he kept poking fun at the Motley Fool's buy suggestions...

Now I'm switching to some Jim Simons stuff, 'The man who solved the Market'.

richyfloor3 likes this.
  10. It's still a decent book. Which through force can be read. I was recently asked to read the book "into the wild" by Jon Krakauer and write about it later, I used https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/into-the-wild/ for this. Because I just couldn't read it. It was too boring for me, I just threw it in the box and forgot about it.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    #10     May 17, 2022