The Economist - Most Liveable Cities 2011

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kassz007, Feb 22, 2011.

1. http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2011/02/liveability_ranking

1. Vancouver
    2. Melbourne
    3. Vienna
    4. Toronto
    5. Calgary
    6. Helsinki
    7. Sydney
    8. Perth
    9. Adelaide
    10. Auckland

"Seven of the top ten scoring cities are in Australia and Canada, where population densities of 2.88 and 3.40 people per sq km respectively compare with a global (land) average of 45.65 and a US average of 32."

"At the other end of the ranking, Harare, the capital of Zimbabwe, is in 140th place, thanks to particularly poor scores for its stability, healthcare and infrastructure. Somewhere between the extremes sit London and New York in 53rd and 56th places."

2. 1 and 2 don't surprise me. Vancouver is an amazing city.

3. I've never been to Australia but would love to go. I only hear good things from everyone. The only thing holding me back is the extremely long ~ 24hr flight to get there.

4. Only 3 on the list are located outside of Canada and Australia; and one of those is in NZ.

5. Shagi

Shagi

Harare is a much better to live than most Cities in Africa including those in South Africa (too much crime), better than most in Middle East India, China, Korea and most of Eastern Europe. I have first hand travel experience and not some numbers spewed out a computer program designed by a geek who has never ventured out of his neighbourhood.

6. Hmm...I wonder if the people that came up with those scores were from Canada and Australia....

7. Shagi

Shagi

If it was based on that criteria then Cities in Norway/Finland/Denmark/Sweden & Germany should be top of the list.

8. Toronto? Are you kidding me?

Unless you are a hockey fan or love winter sports, I don't see the attraction of Canada. Expensive, lousy weather and high taxes.

9. the rankings are obviously racist.

10. Damn,

Montreal isn't on the list!

My favorite place to play in Canada!

#10     Feb 22, 2011