Tesla Cancels MegaFactory in India

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by 2022TheEndGame, Jul 18, 2022.

1. SpaceX and Tesla boss Elon Musk has insisted Tesla will not build a factory in India until it gets permission to sell and provide repair services for its electric cars."Tesla will not build a production plant in any location where we are not permitted to first sell and repair the car," Musk said.

India does not want Tesla to just sell to India by importing it from China, without building production facilities.

https://global.allverta.com/tesla-cancels-factory-in-india-will-switch-to-indonesia/

2. maxinger

maxinger

Who will blink first?

3. TheDawn

TheDawn

So the chicken doesn't want to produce the egg that the chicken is going to come out of? I think Musk is using that excuse to avoid building in India so not to upset China but at the same time keep China in check by giving China the subtle message that it can move its production facilities to India at any time should China does something that he does not like.

Cuddles and Nobert like this.
  4. VicBee

VicBee

And why would Tesla build a factory in India? There's only a low addressable market and an insane amount of corruption. Plenty of examples of foreign companies going in and pulling out within 10 years. Tesla is better off in Southeast Asia, like Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia or even Indonesia where corruption matches that of India but the government there would have a vested interest in ensuring everything runs smoothly.

murray t turtle, d08, zdreg and 2 others like this.
  5. There must be 500,000+ luxury/high-end cars like Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc.. in India and these major car makers do not make cars in India. Indians pay 50% to 100% import duty on imported cars.

Indian government can charge 30% to 50% import duty of Tesla cars made in China and sold in India. If Tesla sells 1 million cars in India that will multi-million dollars business for Indian Prime Minister

6. TheDawn

TheDawn

India's government also has a vested interest in ensuring everything runs smoothly. Musk just didn't "persuade" it hard enough. Once the "persuasion" is strong enough, any government would develop a vested interest.

7. VicBee

VicBee

Dunno. I've never met anyone who worked in India say anything positive about their experience there, regardless of the industry. Most common refrain is, they say yes to everything, but do whatever they want once you're gone. Massive headaches working with Tata on sub contracts.

8. nitrene

nitrene

India is a very corrupt country especially its public servants. I should know since my uncle was one of these corrupt gov't officials who used to pocket millions (Rupees) in black money for his side business as a contractor in the one of the poorest & corrupt states -- Bihar. The guy literally had suitcases of cash & gold jewelry in his safe at his mansion.

I can only assume Musk didn't bribe enough officials otherwise they would have rubber stamped it by now.

Oh and the Indian court system is truly a farce. They move cases at the speed of turtles.

murray t turtle, VicBee and traderob like this.
  9. 3 million Indians are living in USA (jobs)

tradersmantra likes this.
  10. Indians pay 50% to 100% import duty for foreign imported cars like Mercedes, BMW, Rolls Royce, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc.. Indians are rich people but India is a poor country

#10     Jul 19, 2022