‘Termination of chaos’: How daylight saving solved America’s clock craziness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ThunderThor, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Retropolis

By Michael S. RosenwaldNovember 4 at 7:00 AM

‘Termination of chaos’: How daylight saving solved America’s clock craziness

One of the crazier facts about life in America is this: For roughly two decades, nobody had any clue what time it was.

In office buildings, it could be 4 p.m. on one floor and 5 p.m. on another — an important matter for several reasons, including who punched out first to get to happy hour. People would step off airplanes with no idea how to set their watches. Ponder this head-scratcher:

“A short trip from Steubenville, Ohio, to Moundsville, West Virginia became a symbol of the deteriorating situation. A bus ride down this thirty-five-mile stretch of highway took less than an hour. But along that route, the local time changed seven times.”

That “deteriorating situation,” as historian Michael Downing put it in his book “Spring Forward,” is the reason millions of Americans will set their clocks back this weekend for Daylight Saving. (And it is daylight saving, not savings. You’re welcome.) Those who forget are going to be very early for Sunday brunch.

[It’s time to ‘fall back’ again — daylight saving time ends this weekend]

Before 1966, when President Lyndon B. Johnson solved the craziness over America’s clocks two years after passing the Civil Rights Act, time was essentially anything governments or businesses wanted it to be. Though laws mandating daylight saving — to save fuel, to give shoppers extra time in the light — passed in 1918, by the end of World War II the system had become fractured and was ultimately dismantled.

These were nutty times, Downing writes, with some localities observing daylight saving, some not:

Left to their own devices, private enterprise and local governments — which had repeatedly demanded the right not to alter their clocks — took to changing the time as often as they changed their socks, setting off a nationwide frenzy of time tampering …

[​IMG]

Downing writes. “Motorists driving west through the 5 p.m. rush hour in Council Bluffs, Iowa, found themselves tied up in the 5 p.m. rush hour in Omaha, Nebraska, an hour later.”

The historian also offers this truly astonishing fact: “By 1963, no federal agency of commission was even attempting to keep track of timekeeping practices in the United States.”

When the government did finally get involved, a committee was, of course, established.

It was called, “The Committee for Time Uniformity.”

Congressional hearings were held. Legislation was proposed. Editorials were written.

The measure “is a bid for the termination of chaos,” this newspaper opined. To those who would oppose such a sensible idea, the Post editorial page said, “It is better for them to adjust to the will of the majority than to tolerate the Babel of contradictory clocks.”

The Uniform Time Act of 1966 — designed “to promote the observance of a uniform system of time throughout the United States” — was signed into law by Johnson on April 13, 1966.

Six months later it became the law of the land, though one wonders: Did it go into effect at the very same time in New York and Chicago, which is one hour behind?

Actually, never mind.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Comments are always fun to read,here's a few.

1 hour ago

Well, at least we do not use DECIMAL TIME (French Revolutionary Time). That would be more confusing since we are used to the 12 our day.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time#France
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/32127/decimal-time-how-french-made-10-hour-day

[​IMG]

1 hour ago

There is ample reason to have uniform time. There is no valid reason to have a shift from sttandard time to DST. Just make one or the other year the "standard" year round.

[​IMG]

1 hour ago

Daylight " Savings " Time should be abolished in my opinion. There is no real evidence that DST is " Saving " anything. In fact, the opposite may be occurring, and Day Light Savings Time is actually the cause of more power usage. Also, in this day and age, when computers are on 24/7, and cell phone charging is mostly at night, a time change is invalid.
    We should all just go back to Standard Time.

[​IMG]

1 hour ago

Great article! I knew timekeeping was chaotic before the introduction of time zones in the late 19th century, but I had no idea there was such disarray as recently as 1966.
    IIRC, there was no such confusion in the Washington area. Didn't DC, MD and VA all go on and off DST at the same time?
    Also, local options or no, railroads and airlines must have followed some sort of standard time policy. Railroads were the reason time zones were established in the first place, and the need wouldn't have changed 100 years later.

[​IMG]

1 hour ago

The author of this piece conflates two separate issues.
    One is the uniformity of how we set times. That was an even worse problem in the past when towns set their own clocks by noting when the sun was at its highest at _their_ location. At that point there were not four times zones — there were potentially many times that number and they might differ my some number of minutes.
    Fixing that was important, it took a national initiative — and railroad travel may have been at least partly responsible for it, since setting schedules with the existing system was a nightmare.
    The second issue is the one regarding daylight savings time. Yes, it is set nationally — sort of — in a roughly uniform way. But daylight savings time itself doesn't solve these problems. The uniformity — even with a system that many do not like — is what solves the issues.

[​IMG]

1 hour ago

Another example politicians' felt need to control the environment.
    But in solving one problem, they create numerous unexpected negative consequences. Narcissists are such slow learners.
    [​IMG]

47 minutes ago

Oh, how cute -- someone who doesn't understand the issues, chiming in with some insults.
    But then, the Internet Research Agency, in Moscow, doesn't give their little trolls time to bone up on the actual topics that they're commenting on. They've got their Big Book o' Media Talking Points, and that's what they use.

[​IMG]

1 hour ago

A better solution would be for everyone to use Universal Coordinated Time, which is the same right round the world and in all seasons. So long as you don't need for your hour hand to roughly indicate the sun's position, this will solve many problems. While we're at it, we ought to jettison those antique Avoirdupois units of measurement, too.

[​IMG]

2 hours ago

Much of what we think about the issue depends on where we live. Forty years or so ago I lived in the Florida panhandle in the very eastern part of the Central time zone. Before the time changed in the spring it would be getting light shortly after 4. If it had not changed, midsummer would have been insane. I visited relatives in Texas at the very western part of the zone and the difference was extreme.
    One of my children was born the night in 1974 when we went on DST in early January. No one ever did figure out what time she was actually born be a useful the delivery room clocks did not match.

[​IMG]

2 hours ago

Sigh. No connection in the article about railroads and the creation of standard time.

[​IMG]

2 hours ago

When I was younger I remember the clocks changed at the end of April and the beginning of October. That made a lot of sense to me, and especially those living on the eastern edges of the time zone, where the sun was coming up at 4:45 in the morning by late April. This extended DST, where it is the rule rather than the "summer exception" is the problem. DST is three months too long!

[​IMG]

2 hours ago

There's still a lot of controversy over daylight saving time. For a full history of daylight saving time around the world, see my 400 page ebook published earlier this year, The Great Daylight Saving Time Controversy.

[​IMG]

3 hours ago

This absolute garbage of a nonsensical concept needs to be done away with. This whole baloney of having to change clocks and making our winter months even darker than they already are is pure madness. Let’s end this once and for all for god sake.
    [​IMG]

2 hours ago

The darkness that you complain about is because of standard time. Blame the sun.

[​IMG]

3 hours ago

There is one part of the government that has known the exact time for almost 200 years: The US Navy. Longitudinal navigation depends upon a comparison of known time at fixed locations with the amount of time since sunrise on any specific given day at a different location. The US Naval Observatory has been calculating precise time since 1830, first by use of astronomical observation and now by use of atomic clocks accurate to minute fractions of a nanosecond. This accuracy of time is what enables GPS systems to function.
    Now, why is it Daylight Saving Time and not Daylight Savings Time? Simply answer these two questions and you'll understand. Is the Heimlich a life savings maneuver or a life saving maneuver? Why?
    [​IMG]

3 hours ago

"Savings" is a noun; it's what you have in the bank. "Saving" is a gerund (verbal adjective) and modifies a noun. In this context it describes a category of time which supposedly saves daylight. (Although the sun is up for an equal amount of time at the same location on the same day, regardless of which system you are using.)

[​IMG]

3 hours ago

In New Mexico, we have a legislator who keeps proposing that we stay on MDT year round. That might keep us in step with Arizona, making us an hour ahead of them throughout the year, but would create havoc with our other neighboring states--not to mention that schoolkids will be waiting for buses in the dark in the winter. Fortunately, he keeps getting voted down. Now, I do object to how DST was extended by a week or so on either end back in the 2000s.
    [​IMG]

2 hours ago

When I lived in Anchorage my children walked a mile to school in the dark. We gave then flash light. Children can cope. If people want more day light they can adjust their schedules or their latitude. Period.

[​IMG]

2 hours ago

Halloween is during Daylight Saving Time. This leaves a little more daylight to trick-or-treat.

[​IMG]

3 hours ago

Wow! I am a pretty aware guy and was even as a kid. I was in my teens during the 1960s, well read and politically active, and somehow the entire "time chaos" drama managed to unfold without me even noticing? Thank God for New England!

[​IMG]

3 hours ago
    (Edited)

For those who wish to go back to pre-1966 time, tell trump Obama signed The Uniform Time Act of 1966, then he will sign a proclamation cancelling The Uniform Time Act of 1966 !!!

[​IMG]

3 hours ago
    (Edited)

To get from Council Bluffs Iowa to Omaha Nebraska requires simply driving across a bridge. It doesn't take an hour; it takes about 10 minutes, once you get to the bridge. Plus, both cities are in the Central Time Zone.
    [​IMG]

3 hours ago

I'm trying to imagine what a rush hour in Council Bluffs would even look like... ;-)

[​IMG]

4 hours ago

Whether or not you favor the Daylight Saving Time concept, there are some logical inconsistencies to the schedule. Daylight Saving Time starts about 8 days before the Spring Equinox, but ends some 40 days after the Fall Equinox. If the start of Daylight Saving was symmetrical with the end, it would start about February 8. If that were the case, the duration of Standard Time would be reduced to no more than about 100 days.
    Before jumping to the conclusion that Daylight Saving should be year round, you might want to consider the real live experiment during the energy crisis of the early 1970s. As I recall, it was abandoned after one year, primarily because of early morning darkness at the start of school, and the perceived risks that posed for school children.
    [​IMG]

3 hours ago

I think DST should be reserved for the time of year when there is actually some daylight to save, e.g. the time between the spring and fall equinoxes.

[​IMG]

3 hours ago

Simple. Start and end school during daylight hours for grade school kids.

[​IMG]

4 hours ago

Standardized national and international time zones would fix the problem without altering the clock and disrupting the internal biological clocks of people twice a year. Pick Standard or Daylight, and I don't care which, and keep it that way all thru the year.

[​IMG]

4 hours ago

In 1952, when I was 10, my family took a road trip from CA to PA to visit family. One of my enduring memories was the changing time as we drove across Indiana. There were evenings as we entered a new town, announcing what time that particular town was on.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    gwb-trading likes this.
  2. jem

jem

we should stay in daylight savings.
    it give more time for most of us to do things after work or school.
    losing an hour of after work light starting tomorrow sucks.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  3. Agree,especially regarding getting dark early, I can't stand it.

Clubber Lang and jem like this.
  4. It's time for daylight saving time to fall back...forever
    By Michael Levin | Fox News
    [​IMG]
    Tips to help you adjust to end of Daylight Saving Time

Clocks set to 'fall back' on Sunday

At 2 a.m. Sunday, daylight saving (not savings) time comes to an end for most Americans. Good riddance. Turns out it’s a lot like Justin Bieber – way overrated.

People think that farmers like DST, but that’s a myth. Author Michael Downing points out his book “Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time” that farmers were the main group lobbying against the first peacetime imposition DST in 1966.

It seems farmers don’t like the later sunrise created by DST and dairy cows adjust poorly to moooving the clock.

But DST helps conserve energy, right? No, that’s another myth, burst by a study by the California Energy Commission that found a reduction in energy use under DST of less than two-tenths of 1 percent.

And National Geographic reported that a 2008 National Bureau of Economic Research study of DST in Indiana “found that lighting demand dropped, but the warmer hour of extra daylight tacked onto each evening led to more air-conditioning use, which canceled out the gains from reduced lighting and then some.” As a result, electric bills increased slightly under DST.

The real beneficiaries of DST are the charcoal and grill industry, which lobbied successfully to tack a seventh month on to DST, and the candy companies, which pushed Congress to add an eighth month so they could sell more mini-Kit Kats in the days before Halloween.

So I say, let’s have Congress – which hasn’t been able to agree on almost anything this year – pass a bill eliminating daylight saving time. And as a kicker, the bill could revoke Justin Bieber’s work permit and send him back to Canada.

Eliminating DST provides endless benefits – and not just for cows. You won’t have to struggle to figure out what time it is in Arizona or Hawaii, which don’t change their clocks.

The airlines will save hundreds of millions of dollars, because they won’t have to shift flights to handle the twin time changes in spring and fall.

Amtrak won’t have to pull its trains over to sidings in the fall (so they don’t arrive too early – and yes, they do that) or race to be on time in the spring.

Best of all, you won’t be an hour late for church or golf in March or an hour early in November. There’s always one guy who strolls in an hour late on the first Sunday of DST, oblivious to the time change, the cause of much snickering among people intelligent enough to spring ahead.

Childhood obesity will diminish, because kids will have an hour less to trick-or-treat. (OK, that’s wishful thinking.)

But on a serious note, the New York Times published an article in 2014 reporting that Swedish researchers found a 5 percent increase in the risk of heart attacks right after DST began, along with an increase in traffic accidents, workplace injuries and suicide rates. The problem is that while our body clocks can slowly adjust to seasonal changes in the amount of daylight, the sudden change when DST begins throws off our body rhythms.

Some people might say that Daylight Saving is a hallowed national tradition. Yes, Benjamin Franklin had the idea first, but when he wrote about it in 1784, he was in Paris and he meant it as a joke. He wrote a satirical piece about how the French could save 200,000 candles a year if they adopted his plan.

The French, of course, had no sense of humor, took Franklin seriously, and adopted the idea. They didn’t save any candles, but since everybody could see who was going to whose apartment, the rate of adultery may have dropped precipitously.

The real origin of DST was World War I, when the Germans tried to squeeze an extra hour of daylight in the evenings, inadvertently forgetting that they would lose an hour of daylight in the mornings. Maybe that’s why they lost.

America adopted DST in fits and starts, kept it going all year long (how can you tell?) during World War II, and finally made it national in 1966, unless a state opted out.

So it’s only as much of a tradition in this country as, say, expecting the Mets to be out of the pennant race by August.

While we’re at it, it’s time to realign time zones in the United States so they actually make sense. Who said time zones have to be vertical? They would actually make much more sense if the country were realigned as follows:

Have one time zone that encompasses most business and finance – the new Important Standard Time, which will stretch from Boston to New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Denver, Salt Lake City, Dallas, and Los Angeles.

South of that will be Golf Standard Time.

Just north, Redwood Standard Time, which will separate Southern California from Northern California, which is what both halves of the state have always wanted anyway.

Sending Bieber back to Canada? Maybe that’s the only thing all Americans can agree on.

comments.......................
    Conversation (1,527)

Sort byNewest

• miketelco2002Leader
      16m
      Agreed.

• kennytucsonLeader
      21m
      No DST in Arizona. It's nice.
      1 Like

• 1VoiceOfReazon
      24m
      PART 4: Congress “hasn’t been able to agree on almost anything this year”because half of the Congress – the Democrats – have chosen not to do their job, which is to present their point of view on the issues brought forth, and vote; but instead to RESIST, at any cost (which includes lying on a regular basis and illegitimately trying to impeach the president), the will of the people. The people cried out for the corruption and elitism to STOP, and instead it has only increased (or, perhaps, become more visible … to those who ignore the equally corrupt LSM). Eliminating DST provides no benefits for cows. The whole cow thing is just a ploy often used by poor reporters and poor political “comedians” to try to win favor for an argument that lacks substance. In what way do the airlines “have to shift flights to handle the twin time changes in spring and fall?” The times they list are merely aligned to the new DST or non-DST times, and I dare say this is almost certainly already done for them, once for all time, by their computer systems that handle the flight scheduling. FAKE NEWS! Fox News, fire this guy immediately. He’s an infiltrator. Probably trying to insert fake news articles so the LSM can point to legitimate evidence that Fox News also (like them) has fake news on record. Can him. (CONTINUED)

• 1VoiceOfReazon
      24m
      PART 3: The obvious [and unanswered] question about the 2008 National Bureau of Economic Research study of DST in Indiana is, did they offer any reason why “the warmer hour of extra daylight tacked onto each evening led to more air-conditioning use?” There obviously was no warmer hour of extra daylight tacked onto each evening, because changing clocks doesn’t create an extra hour of daylight. Perhaps this nonsense can be explained by the year, 2008. Perhaps the Obama administration was ALREADY having a significant effect on the accuracy of government reporting. Maybe the “global warming is caused by mankind” scientists who were caught “cooking the books” WRT (with respect to) their global warming data were hired on at the National Bureau of Economic Research as payback for their loyalty to the global warming agenda. I don’t know, just thinking out loud. Doesn’t this author read what he is quoting as “evidence” before he sends his article out for publication? Fake news, Fox News! This is like an article by the LSM! The real beneficiaries of DST are not the charcoal and grill industry, but the average American who has something he/she wants to do, during the daylight hours, after work. Part of that may be grilling with charcoal, but why is that a reason to get rid of DST? Irrelevant, fake news. (CONTINUED)

• 1VoiceOfReazon
      25m
      PART 2: (if there’s a significant chance of rain, for example)and/or thieves, perhaps, get ready for work, and then work on it again when you get home. This cost you extra time. On God’s green earth, time lost is lost forever. Also, you may be pounding nails prior to your neighbors getting out of bed, and they may not like it. I don’t really have time now to point out all the problems in the article (Fox News doesn’t need fake news articles like this, messing up their otherwise relatively stellar reputation), but I’ll see what I can do: If the author thinks there are people who think that farmers like DST, he should name a few, if he can find that many. Give the opinion of some ASSOCIATION(s) of FARMERS, not “There are at least two people who think thus and so.” Fake news. And why bother to list as support of your argument a BOOK written on the subject of ending DST? His ARTICLE should have been shorter … how can someone write a BOOK on eliminating DST, and expect to be taken seriously? A later sunrise is not created by DST, especially for farmers. It’s merely indicated as later on our clocks, which affects most of us, but not (as far as I know) farmers. Outside of California, Washington, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and maybe parts of Illinois, what percentage of people trust a study coming out of any California commission? Given who they re-elected as governor last time around, why does anyone listen to what California has to say anymore? Just sayin’. (CONTINUED)

• 1VoiceOfReazon
      25m
      PART 1: Well, I guess this article indicates that the LSM isn’t quite COMPLETELY wrong (from this point forward, at least) when they say that Fox News includes fake news in their reporting. In that sense, this article is a disgrace to Fox News. I’ll get back to that topic momentarily. First, I want to say that I’m in the camp of those who have commented herein things like: I'd rather spring forward forever, that extra daylight is way more useful in the evening than it is in the morning ... But what I don't want to do is wake up at 5am (in the summer months) because the sun is shining in my window Give me that extra hour of light in the evening, when I can use it to work outside around the house or whatever. Change DST to two hours. I like the extra light in the evening. … [And] make it year-round and forever. The reason [for DST] is because we have fixed times and the sunrise/set does not fit into our fixed times. … [But DST] WILL change how much time people can experience daylight around their work schedule. See more

• leftshotInfluencer
      39m
      Seriously, let’s keep the time the same year around. However, I think most locales will benefit adopting what is now DST as the standard. During the short days of winter having some sunlight after 5pm is much preferable to going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark

• FRED1950Leader
      39m
      This absolute bull. Every year same bull. I vote to keep daylight saving all year

• IrkedVeteran671Leader
      45m
      Stop complaining...........daylight savings is for the kids, and their safety. Nuff said. Don't be a whiner. Just do it.
      1 Like

• daveh0Leader
      Irked Veteran671
      30m
      How do you figure? Most parents don't know where their kids are day or night.

• tonyswhirlContributor
      daveh0
      4m
      School bus stops in the morning - more light

• nopenotmeLeader
      1h
      who are these 'guests' that run around liking my posts? personally, i think it is a plot
      1 Like

• nopenotmeLeader
      1h
      i think it is cool how we can legislate the sun into waking up an hour later
      3 Likes

• nomomoney4u748Leader
      1h
      If you keep daylight savings, blacks have an extra hour to sell drugs before sunset
      1 Like

• woody420429Leader
      1h
      I have not yet met a cow that can tell time. Keep it as is.

• EdLoweryLeader
      woody420429
      1h
      But they can tell directions.

• CaptainBeetle
      1h
      "The real beneficiaries of DST are the charcoal and grill industry, which lobbied successfully to tack a seventh month on to DST, and the candy companies, which pushed Congress to add an eighth month so they could sell more mini-Kit Kats in the days before Halloween." I get the bit with the charcoal and gas grills (more evening cookouts when its still light out), but the candy company bit makes no sense whatsoever.
      3 Likes

• CaptainBeetle
      1h
      The author has it wrong - kids will have more time to trick or treat if DST is eliminated. As it stands now, it does not get dark until after 6 o'clock, so kids do not start out until then. Removing DST, or going back to the DST fall-back before Halloween (like it used to be) will allow kids to head out at around 5:00 under darkness.
      1 Like

• conservenyer517Leader
      1h
      What's the difference. The Trolls on here sleep all day every month. No jobs.
      5 Likes

• debulator003Leader
      1h
      I hate it. It’s NOT necessary. Let our own bioclocks work in sync with Mom Nature.
      1 Like

• jrumorLeader
      2h
      the big screw up was when congress extended daylights savings time in the early 2000s. a few weeks in the winter and a couple weeks in the spring. supposedly it was supposed to save energy, but really just helped businesses sell more. their wrong response to the california rolling power outages in the early 2000s.... which were also faked by the power company to make rates skyrocket.

• southbaysteelerLeader
      jrumor
      1h
      the power outages in CA were due to the state moratorium on new power plant construction, Gray Davis, and Enron.
      2 Likes

• jrumorLeader
      2h
      look at what happens if we don't use daylight savings time....or if we use it year round. if we use it year round, kids are walking to school in the dark... like they have the last couple weeks. if we don't use it at all, it is light at 4am during the summer and dark at 8pm (depending on where you live) i don't like it being dark early in the evenings in the winter, but it is better than getting light later in the mornings. think of the change as jet lag... it is only 1 hour, twice per year.
      1 Like

• sldl04Influencer
      jrumor
      2h
      My thoughts exactly. I could care less about the sun coming up at 4:30am in the summer months. I'm fine with the time change 2x a year.

• HISharbinger3Contributor
      2h
      Wow.....so difficult this changing of the clock is. What a burden for the first world United States. Surely we have problems bigger that taking - what - 8 minutes to reset a few clocks around the home. I have three and they all set themselves.
      1 Like

• a1c3c0Leader
      H I Sharbinger3
      2h
      Yes, that's the ONLY reason people are tired of adhering to an outdated policy with absolutely no purpose in modern day America.
      2 Likes

• YourryBreshnevLeader
      3h
      ⌚ Keep in mind folks it's Daylight Saving Time not SAVINGS.
      1 Like

• FinrodLeader
      3h
      If we're going to have daylight shavings (spelling intentional), then let's do it like this. Start it on April 1. April Fools, you're late to work. End it on November 1. An extra hour for kids on Halloween. Also, end it at 3am November 1 going back to 2am. That way it lasts an even number of 24-hour blocks, and computer scheduling only has to worry about 2am-3am, instead of two different blocks of time overnight.

• MiroslavScheintein
      3h
      Why is this one so obsessed with Bieber?
      4 Likes

• buaInfluencer
      Miroslav Scheintein
      3h
      Because Justin Bieber is way overrated?
      4 Likes

• BoulderRepublican1Leader
      3hEdited
      The problem we have now is that, of everyone who hates changing the clocks twice a year, about half choose Daylight Saving time, and the other half choose Standard time. Soooo, while there's near-unanimous agreement that everyone hates changing the clocks, we CANNOT agree on which format should be applied universally and forever, if that were to be an option.

• mckimsey
      BoulderRepublican1
      3h
      Probably fair. But the solution is in our grasp. Keep doing what we're doing. Best of both worlds.
      1 Like

• JohnJJD
      BoulderRepublican1
      3h
      Set the time back one-half hour and everyone will be happy. Then again, nothing can make everyone happy.
      1 Like

• John10065488Leader
      3h
      I hate DST. Nothing sucks more than is still being light outside at almost 10 pm in the midwest when you have to get up and get to work at 6 am.
      5 Likes

• remmythedogLeader
      4h
      No one is required to change their watch or clock. Be your own self. Listen to Wyatt.
      1 Like

• John10065488Leader
      remmythedog
      3h
      Tell that to your boss when you show up at the wrong time.
      4 Likes

• BuddyLeeiLeader
      4h
      another example of humans making things better.

• We Russians abolished daylights savings time almost 4 years ago.
      1 Like

• brianostenburgerLeader
      lawknow
      2h
      Authorities! Remove this man! He is a Russian spying on our elections!

• FieldhunterInfluencer
      4h
      When I was in India, or was it Indiana (?), the time zones were separated by 1/2 hours... Try figuring out what time it was really when traveling... It was India...Indiana is closing but still not that screwed up... :)
      2 Likes

• deeplyconcernedLeader
      4h
      I love DST. It should be year round. Dark at 445 sucks. But somehow this clown thinks that’s a good thing.
      3 Likes

• 45yowmLeader
      deeplyconcerned
      3h
      yeah I really would enjoy dark in the morning till 8:00am
      3 Likes

• mckimsey
      deeplyconcerned
      3h
      Same argument is always kids going to school in the dark. That should be considered. But why not simply adjust school and business. Otherwise keep DST except in the winter like we do.
      2 Likes

• jrumorLeader
      mckimsey
      2h
      all schools should start later, all year long
      1 Like

• mckimsey
      4h
      I've thought about it, I'd rather have DST half the year than none of the year. Now if you want DST all year, count me in. Schools and businesses can adjust their times accordingly.
      2 Likes

• miketelco2002Leader
      4h
      Some states and parts of states do not do the time change thingy. ALL states need to follow suit.

• FinrodLeader
      miketelco2002
      3h
      Hawaii tried it once, went back after one day. Why should they bother?

• raymondbenningLeader
      4h
      I thought the time was changed so people that had a job would have time to work after getting home in their victory gardens and grow much of their own food. Years later there was no need for the gardens because food was more plentiful and cheaper. I thought that would stop the time change but it didn't. I think it is an unnecessary mess that needs to stop.
      2 Likes

• trischLeader
      4h
      Unfortunately, Daylight Saving Time was passed by lawful election of the voters in Washington State back in the early days of the 1960s. The ads showed boaters and water skiiers enjoying having fun on Lake Washington at 10 and 11 o'clock at night. The fools bought it, just like they've been choosing democrats to entirely run the State ever since. I am fortunate. I'm retired so I don't have to abide by Daylight Saving Time and do not set my clocks ahead or backward to a false time. In my beautiful, natural world, the sun is at its highest point in the Southern sky at 12:00 noontime every day (at least when the clouds don't cover it up).
      3 Likes

• VictarInfluencer
      4h
      Why not move it one half hour and be done with it?

• trischLeader
      Victar
      4h
      Why not just leave time alone completely instead of having to live an unnatural life?
      9 Likes

• wrkforlvndumasLeader
      4h
      You are not very good at Journalism logic or humor. Try farming and then you might know what you speak of.
      3 Likes

• AngusRocksLeader
      5h
      Hillary's smile could stop a clock.
      10 Likes

• HowieFelterRuppLeader
      5h
      This time shifting is bad enough. But what is even more worrisome is the impact it might have on an upcoming racist holiday - Black Friday. Should I, or should I not, go forth and engage with 142 other people to buy last years left overs for a discount. I know for certain that I will not venture near shoe stores and CVS stores.
      4 Likes

• hollywonLeader
      5h
      I hate the time switch. I would prefer to fall back and just stay there.
      8 Likes

• storm46Leader
      5h
      Bush cut two months off of standard time so that we now have 8 months of daylight savings time. He should have just done away with standard time.
      6 Likes

• trischLeader
      storm46
      4h
      Bush did it? Provide proof of that statement. If the government did it, it was done by Congress, which was Democrat majority then.
      5 Likes

• nailman537Leader
      5h
      I am 77 and for my whole life--every year--somebody talks about doing away with Daylight savings time----guess what it ain't got Done and never will !! Leave the clock alone, I hate when it gets dark at 5:00 pm. Ho Hum, 77 more years and it will still be here !! ( NO, I didn't bother to read the article, again and again and again---------!!)
      2 Likes

• This message was deleted.

• wrkforlvndumasLeader
      4h
      I missed a lot of humor also and I read the article....

• This message was deleted.

• bltzkrigInfluencer
      4h
      The again and again in the gentleman's email refers to having to read the same proposal every year, not about reading _this_ article repeatedly. Sheesh, you really need a joke broken down before you get it.

• trischLeader
      nailman537
      4h
      Ha Ha. I am 78 and do not like to hear about kids getting hit by cars that can't see them on their way to school at 7:00 a.m. (which with Daylight Saving Time is actually 6:00 a.m.) I didn't have to go to school in the dark when I was a kid, and It is wrong that kids have to do it today. Daylight Saving Time is an abomination forced onto the people of the United States and it has no value whatsoever!!!
      2 Likes

• Skeeball10
      5h
      Whatever. Just leave it. Dealing with the repercussions of changing the DST standard is a pain in the rear. I've still got clocks automatically adjust time using the old standard.
      1 Like
    SHOW MORE COMMENTS...

5. Overnight

Overnight

I think it is neat that Massachusetts is trying to move into the Atlantic time zone, to avoid all this silly stuff of clock changing. It makes sense though, since Mass and Maine are the two most eastern states in the country. Especially northern Maine, which on it's east coast is about on par with the west coast of Nova Scotia for time.

In MA, who the heck wants the sun to set at like 4:10 PM local time?

I say bring it. Let's get some time-shifts here. AST! AST!

6. Time.png

7. mlawson71

mlawson71

I understand the logic of daylight savings time and I understand why it's necessary, but at the same time it's so hard to get used to it every six months.

ThunderThor likes this.