TD Ameritrade customers "can now trade the stock market 24 hours a day"

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by m22au, Jan 22, 2018.

1. m22au

m22au

"The regular investor can now trade the stock market 24 hours a day with TD Ameritrade"
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/22/inv...k-market-24-hrs-a-day-with-td-ameritrade.html

From the article:

"Traders on the TD Ameritrade platform are now able to buy and sell shares of ETFs like the SPDR S&P 500 (SPY) at any time of the day."

"TD Ameritrade extended trading hours on its platform starting Monday to 24 hours, five days a week for several popular exchange-traded funds.

"Traders on the TD Ameritrade platform are now able to buy and sell shares of ETFs like the SPDR S&P 500 (SPY), iShares MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (EEM) and the SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) at any time of the day. Trades made between 8 p.m. ET and 4 a.m. ET are placed as limit orders and are executed through electronic communication networks."

ETFs that can be traded (from the article):
    DIA EEM FXI GLD IWM QQQ SH SLV SPY TLT UNG USO

Obviously many futures trade 22 or more hours a day.

But do other brokers allow for 24-hour trading in these ETFs?

2. johnmmf

johnmmf

extended trading hours on its platform starting Monday to 24 hours, five days a week for several popular exchange-traded funds. The eBroker also told CNBC trading individual stocks around the clock may not be too far away.

athlonmank8 likes this.
  3. S2007S

S2007S

Just read this news.....this is quite fascinating....I'm actually really surprised it took years and years to finally have this in place........will be interesting to see how this catches on and to see if other brokers offer it soon.
    Every market should be open 24/7....

dealmaker likes this.
  4. S2007S

S2007S

They mentioned 24 ETFs can be traded, only saw the 12 listed, still wondering what the other 12 ETFs are....anyone know the other 12?

I think if this works out most other online brokers will jump in the game in the next few months.

5. sprstpd

sprstpd

Which electronic communication networks are open between 8pm and 4am? None that I know of. Does TD Ameritrade have their own ECN? Liquidity will be horrible.

6. S2007S

S2007S

Of course liquidity will be horrible but guess it's worth a try...might be those few nights that you can trade some heavy volatility.....

So these are the ETFs that will be trading 24 hrs

DIA SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF Trust
    EEM iShares MSCI Emerging Markets ETF
    FXI iShares China Large-Cap ETF
    GLD SPDR Gold Trust
    IWM iShares Russell 2000 ETF
    QQQ PowerShares QQQ Trust
    SH ProShares Short S&P500
    SLV iShares Silver Trust
    SPY SPDR S&P 500 ETF
    TLT iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond ETF
    UNG United States Natural Gas Fund
    USO United States Oil Fund

7. Who works as the exchange?

I mean, they may as well. Because right now CME is eating their lunch and have essentially full market share of all aftermarket activity trading the indexes, currency and the commodities. If people want to trade something at midnight, it's CME futures by default. Who else lets you put a trade before a midnight senate vote for example? A lot of that event driven activity happens and it happens afterhours. Maybe they are trying to gain market share in the trading of ETFs. Could actually be a good thing, because you can control risk better with cash related positions, instead of trading hefty futures.

8. SPY was opening at 3 am CT.

This is great for index option traders that would like to close/hedge their position before market open.

Can you imagine equities trading 24/7? I still remember fractional quotes haha.

9. Another step to encroach on the bitcoyn online gambling scam.

10. m22au

m22au

#10     Jan 22, 2018