Tariffs on Canadian Aluminum back on

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Cuddles, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

no word on Russian imports though.....or validity of new, beautiful, biggest and best deal in history NAFTA 2.0

also, probably bullshit

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  2. Good .... And I'm from Canada.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

bad, I consume aluminum down here and don't like taxes

4. themickey

themickey

It should not affect anyone I doubt as aluminium is extremely competitive and widely available.
    China, Russia & Australia are the largest producing countries I believe.

5. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/business/economy/trump-canadian-aluminum-tariffs.html
    On Thursday evening, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Canada’s response via Twitter. “In response to the American tariffs announced today, Canada will impose countermeasures that will include dollar-for-dollar retaliatory tariffs,” he wrote. “We will always stand up for our aluminum workers. We did so in 2018 and we will stand up for them again now.”

The deputy prime minister, Chrystia Freeland, issued a pointed statement, as well. “In the time of a global pandemic and an economic crisis,” Ms. Freeland said, “the last thing Canadian and American workers need is new tariffs that will raise costs for manufacturers and consumers, impede the free flow of trade, and hurt provincial and state economies.”

She also rejected Mr. Trump’s national security justification for the measure. “Canadian aluminum strengthens U.S. national security and has done so for decades through unparalleled cooperation between our two countries,” she said in the statement.

6. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

Trump's a fool who is desperate because of the election. If only Americans understood how tariffs work. Canada doesn't care to appease Trump at all anymore the retaliation was swift and direct. Hope Americans enjoy higher prices to go with their Covid experiences.

7. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

It's a brutally stupid move like most Trump moves. Instead of dealing with Covid, he's obsessed with taking swings at his trading "enemies" trying to appease the dumbest portion of his supporters.

Cuddles and themickey like this.
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Srinir hit the nail on the head. It's because Trudeau did not attend the NAFTA 2.0 signing ceremony due to COVID. Similar thing happened with Merkel snubbing the G7 meeting and defense/troops pull out as a result.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...senior-us-officials-sources-say-idUSKBN23G0BE

9. %%
    Many do understand;
    like KY US Senator+DR R Paul remarked with a rebuke ''a tariff is a tax''
    DR/Senator R Paul also rebuked fake Fauci, explaining the flu killed more in KY than the virus.Ive told my US Senators + Pres Trump ''don't tariff allies''...………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

10. JSOP

JSOP

Well Trump is running out of targets to bully. He can't really touch Europe; he needs them to keep the tabs on Turkey, Syria and Iran. He can't touch Australia and New Zealand; he needs them to go against China. The only country left is Canada and Canada is US' largest trading partner so that's his only choice left.

#10     Aug 10, 2020