Tariffs driving China to abandon low cost products and enter high grade market

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cuddles, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

piezoe and Slartibartfast like this.
  2. Cuddles

Cuddles

I've been a fan of Chinese tube amplifiers...people who don't know high end China are in for a shock if they start chomping domestic market.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  3. Living in Asia even back in the early 2000s it used to shock me at the inexpensive but decent stuff that we did not have in Europe. Asia always had cool stuff never released in Europe.

I rented an ordinary house and it had a toilet with a self cleaning heated seat... None of those in the "advanced" west :)

4. luisHK

luisHK

Do you mean Japan when you say Asia ?
    If so no surprise I travelled there a bunch of times in the 90s and their toilets and mobile phones looked great coming from the west.
    20+ years later I still live in Asia but can't say I'm impressed very often.
    This week is one of those moments though, Supertyphoon Mangkhut lashed on Southern China, leaving more broken trees than I ever saw, yet only 2 deaths in the whole region last I checked (talking about several multimillion inhabitants' cities beeing hit plus poor areas in the countryside, trees downed into about every single street. Not sure how reliable are official stats though). A few hours into the morning most roads were practicable. Back home we have to mourn several deaths regularly on much smaller storms.
    But otherwise, not impressed, especially if you remove the most advanced countries in Asia.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    zdreg and Slartibartfast like this.
  5. Thailand was on my mind. The house was in a new development near Chang Mai. A lot like Colombia since 2014, Thailand went from basic to really well developed. The house also came with a double dishwasher and wired for surround sound etc. Very fancy back then :)

I've spent time in Laos and that was vary basic back in 2001-2003, 10-15, maybe more years of development behind Thailand easily.

Japan has amazing stuff of course. I recall seeing Rolex watches and similar luxury goods in very ordinary stores.

6. luisHK

luisHK

Well, I've spent years in Bangkok in the 90s and 2000', I doubt many westerners would be impressed by technology and infrastructure there, although good accommodations are definitely available and at competitive prices.
    Sure, the toilets sound fancy for Thailand in the 90's, far from Thai standard.

Noticed you now live in Colombia (Cali ?), I've been to Bogota and liked the city very much, would be glad to switch from Asia to a spanish speaking white/latino majority city in south America (or at least somewhere urban and relatively safe, Bogota and Montevideo came in favorites, especially that they offer sweet tax deals) , but that's a real long way from Asia where we have quite a few ties, doubt we will ever make that move at least as a family, except on vacation - and when living again in Europe, checked a few days ago flights to Buenos Aires while planning Xmas holidays and that's over 30 hours flights from HK...

7. I prefer Medellin, it has the best infrastructure in South America they say. Bogota has stuff, it is the financial and business capital but the traffic is appalling. Once and a while I fly from the downtown airport in Medellin to Bogota for shopping and to visit "Wok" which is a pretty decent Asian restaurant.

Medellin has perfect weather nearly all the time, in the 43 countries I've traveled and worked in, it is my favorite. I did like living in Northern Thailand, the food etc. was excellent but sometimes alien I'll admit. Colombians are more European minded, I guess dominant Catholicism has a way of making a lot of countries familiar.

I also have a place in Panama City but I don't like the city very much. It is very much like Miami in ways there however traffic again is a pain and though I am happy with my girlfriend, the only pretty women in Panama are Colombian..

Life is good here, I don't need much, I can import anything from a shipper in Florida if I need it and I work crazy hours so perfect temperature and humidity in Medellin is great for me.

fyretrading and luisHK like this.
  8. zdreg

zdreg

the same goes for US. how many died in puerto rico, it went from 60 to 3000 months later.
    how about inflation numbers in the US?

dealmaker likes this.
  9. A sustained period of abjectly primitive conditions will do that.

#10     Sep 18, 2018
    dealmaker likes this.