Taleb fund and how it profited

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by cdcaveman, Aug 29, 2015.

1. wow, I figured he bought up a bunch of far otm puts on various indicies, but I remember Zero Hedge posted about a huge buyer of far otm VIX calls for something like $0.50...

2. i960

i960

I also remember someone buying 2500 options of something.. can't remember if they were VIX calls or SPX puts.

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  3. i960

i960

Found it and this could simply be hearsay. Also, they would have been ITM at the time with decreasing gamma so not sure this would be a Taleb play.

image.jpg

4. Butterball

Butterball

Long volatility funds buy far OTM puts AND calls on a variety of assets: currencies, bonds, equity indexes, commodities (oil, gold). If there are sharp moves in either direction they profit. If there aren't any major moves they lose 1-3% a month.

Note that the articles about the fund were pure marketing fluff "Profited $1bln on Monday". Without saying how much it lost in the last 5 years.

5. i960

i960

Once again, I'm certain Taleb knows how to trade typical stuff without getting his balls cut off. It's entirely possible they bias towards positioning of black swan like positions while also supplementing income through other hedged or outright long volatility plays.

I don't know exactly what they do but I doubt they're losing 1% a month for 3 years straight only to make it all back on a single event - and even if that's what they're doing, if it's net profitable in the long term, then does it really matter?

6. Butterball

Butterball

@i960 You're assuming, you don't know. You assume because Taleb has a PHD and is on CNBC then surely he 'knows his stuff'. Why so gullible?

No that's not "entirely possible", it's actually impossible. You can't establish an overall position that benefits from both long and short volatility, at the end of the day you're either long or short. Every option position can be expressed as a long or short position in the underlying and vice versa. Your 'idea' would translate into being long and short the underlying. Supplementing income through long volatility plays? You can't be serious.

Going back to the WSJ article:

I have access to that fund's data, here's a snapshot of the last couple years. Even if they were up on Monday "in the double digits" they are still down massively over time:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Pekelo and Visaria like this.
  7. Mtrader

Mtrader

8. i960

i960

I don't watch CNBC and if you knew me in person you'd probably consider me anti-gullible. I'm not saying the guy is a super trader but he does have actual real world trading experience and has written books related to it.

You're overcomplicating this. I'm not saying they're long and short the same thing I'm saying it entirely possible they supplement income with both long and short vol plays on DIFFERENT instruments. I highly doubt they just open .05 delta SPX puts and go home.

I'm not even a Taleb fannatic and would agree the recent headlines are just that - headlines. On the same token I don't think he's just throwing shit into the wind.

cdcaveman likes this.
  9. Visaria

Visaria

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I'm guessing that these types of funds are really only for institutional funds who want some protection against bad things happening and willing to invest maybe 5% of their funds. I'm also guessing that the long vol funds have hefty annual fees since most of the the years, they will be unlikely to make money and wil not be able to charge performance fees.

#10     Aug 30, 2015