Sykes/ Trader Monthly Feud on Page Six

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by TimothySykes, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Party's Over For Hedge King

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09212007/gossip/pagesix/partys_over_for_hedge_king.htm

September 21, 2007 -- A WALL Street war has erupted between influential Trader Monthly magazine and boisterous money manager Timothy Sykes, who says he was rudely disinvited to its "30 Under 30" party at Gold Street restaurant celebrating young financial whizzes after his once-mighty hedge fund tanked.

"Everything was fine, and then I get a call from their p.r. lady telling me I was no longer invited," Sykes, star of last year's Internet reality show "Wall Street Warriors," told Page Six.

"Then I spoke with the editor-in-chief, Randall Lane, and he said I wasn't welcome. My friends couldn't believe it - they were like, 'What did you do to him, screw his girlfriend or something?' "

Lane says Sykes is a shameless publicity hound whose Cilantro Fund lost a third of its value since last year. In an e-mail to Sykes, he wrote: "Acclaim comes with performance. While you've been busily self-promoting, your track record this past year for yourself and your investors has been pitiful. Laughably horrid. If you ever again become a real trader - rather than ignore the hard work required to instead play one on TV - you'll be welcome in our community.

"Until then . . . we will have nothing to do with you, as we celebrate those who actually perform versus those who pretend to."

What a difference a year makes. In 2006, Sykes was not only the star of the "30 Under 30" bash, he was written up in the Times for turning $12,415 of Bar Mitzvah gift money into a $1.65 million fortune and launching Cilantro Fund Management, which became top-ranked by Barclays.

But Cilantro has suffered major losses, and in his new book, "An American Hedge Fund," Sykes slams the market, writing: "I would like to thank the thousands of inept corporate management teams, shady brokers, boiler rooms, stock promoters, market manipulators . . . for your endless scheming and undying greed without which my fortune would never have been possible."

Lane told us Sykes no longer fits in with Trader Monthly's audience: "This guy has decided to become Mr. Media as his hedge fund loses money." But Sykes said Lane and his magazine are losing face. "For the editor-in-chief of a magazine I used to worship, this is crazy," he said. "It's a slap in the face."

2. RedDuke

RedDuke

3. September 21, 2007 -- A WALL Street war has erupted between influential Trader Monthly magazine and boisterous money manager Timothy Sykes, who says he was rudely disinvited to its "30 Under 30" party at Gold Street restaurant celebrating young financial whizzes after his once-mighty hedge fund tanked.

"Everything was fine, and then I get a call from their p.r. lady telling me I was no longer invited," Sykes, star of last year's Internet reality show "Wall Street Warriors," told Page Six.

"Then I spoke with the editor-in-chief, Randall Lane, and he said I wasn't welcome. My friends couldn't believe it - they were like, 'What did you do to him, screw his girlfriend or something?' "

Lane says Sykes is a shameless publicity hound whose Cilantro Fund lost a third of its value since last year. In an e-mail to Sykes, he wrote: "Acclaim comes with performance. While you've been busily self-promoting, your track record this past year for yourself and your investors has been pitiful. Laughably horrid. If you ever again become a real trader - rather than ignore the hard work required to instead play one on TV - you'll be welcome in our community.

"Until then . . . we will have nothing to do with you, as we celebrate those who actually perform versus those who pretend to."

What a difference a year makes. In 2006, Sykes was not only the star of the "30 Under 30" bash, he was written up in the Times for turning $12,415 of Bar Mitzvah gift money into a $1.65 million fortune and launching Cilantro Fund Management, which became top-ranked by Barclays.

But Cilantro has suffered major losses, and in his new book, "An American Hedge Fund," Sykes slams the market, writing: "I would like to thank the thousands of inept corporate management teams, shady brokers, boiler rooms, stock promoters, market manipulators . . . for your endless scheming and undying greed without which my fortune would never have been possible."

Lane told us Sykes no longer fits in with Trader Monthly's audience: "This guy has decided to become Mr. Media as his hedge fund loses money." But Sykes said Lane and his magazine are losing face. "For the editor-in-chief of a magazine I used to worship, this is crazy," he said. "It's a slap in the face."

4. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

Hey Timmay, this was posted over 2 hours ago by another trader who apparently is at his desk at 6 am, not someone who plays one on tv who rolls out of bed at 9:30.

5. cstfx

cstfx

PT Barnum lives.

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Obviously Zsa Zsa Gabor was right:

There is no such a thing as bad publicity....

7. I'm really starting to like this kid. Give em hell timmy. Poor chap couldnt get laid in a whore house with a fist full of hundreds.

8. I guess that trader wasn't trading premarket and making a few thousand dollars like me.

Here's a rule to live by: Focus on trading first, when no worthy opportunities, focus on all else.

9. when will The Donald chime in?

10. Wait before you could not do any trading because you are so busy plugging yourself, now you made money trading pre-market?

C'mon all credibility is now out the window

#10     Sep 21, 2007