Mean Reversion Strategy Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by StockChartist, Nov 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deaddog

deaddog

Cash is pretty well a risk free position.

Better to be in cash when the market is going up than in stocks when the market is going down.

Maybe it's old age, but FOMO is no longer a motivator.

#41     Nov 25, 2021
  2. toc

toc

Seems like good stuff.........will be nice to stay tuned in !!

#42     Nov 26, 2021
  3. Thank you for your support, will do my best to stay consistent and keep this thread updated.

Looks like stocks are going to be on sale for Black Friday too, Russell futures were just down 5% in overnight trading, market is nervous about the new covid variant out of South Africa.

#43     Nov 26, 2021
  4. Opened two new trades today, decided to make some contrarian plays as I think this reaction from the new covid variant concern is a bit overdone, so entered buy orders for both $RCL and $DAL which were filled on the open, both stocks already met all my technical requirements yesterday for a trade and with the gap down they're both quite below the 50 day SMA. Expecting further volatility and possibly a few weeks or so before coming back to the mean. Portfolio now has 15 positions currently open (my maximum) so no new buys until a position hits a target and is closed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    #44     Nov 26, 2021
    yc47ib likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Today was DEFINITELY an over-reaction, but not sure if now was the time to jump back into travel stocks. Seems there will be a bit more downside until the Omicron panic has left the building.

But the charts you posted look promising over the mid-term, nearing or at bottoms.

#45     Nov 26, 2021
  6. Yes you may be right, my strategy is always early to enter on the divergence to be able to always catch the convergence back to the mean, so most of my trades will go against me before coming back.

#46     Nov 26, 2021
  7. deaddog

deaddog

As your trades go against you doesn't your exit line also drop?
    It looks like some kind of moving average.

#47     Nov 26, 2021
  8. Yes it's the 50 day WMA so it adjusts everyday using the new closing price, that's what I refer to as the "mean" and exit 1 tick above that.

#48     Nov 26, 2021
  9. deaddog

deaddog

OK I don't mean to be negative here but to protect my capital I have to look at worse case scenarios.

With a weighted MA the faster a stock drops the faster your exit signal will drop. How often does a stock exit at a loss?

#49     Nov 26, 2021
  10. You can check the back tests from 2008-2021 in my 1st post which shows an average win rate around 75%, the MA can still drop and the trade results in a profit, look at this chart below of $WMT as an example, you can see the MA drop and the trade go into drawdown before coming back to close at a profit.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    #50     Nov 26, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.