Sun Tzu:Art of trading war = the edge

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Trading Education Buyer, Nov 22, 2016.

• I think that the most famous of the Sun Tsu quotes about knowing the enemy and yourself is very relevant to trading -

most people would think that knowing the enemy (the market) is the key and the only focus/goal they set. They learn technical analysis, they study macroeconomical conditions, they apply regressions, they backtest, they backtest, they backtest etc.

The proverb's main pt: know yourself and know the enemy and then you will succeed, is the simple logic. We all can see that when it is told to us - particularly the part about knowing the enemy.

Invariably the enemy will pull a surprise on you - and it is how you react to it which is key. The markets will do this - that much you better count on. Therefore, work on your ability to withstand losses and not lose your focus. Otherwise, you end up in the summation of Tzu's wisdom: know neither yourself nor your enemy - YOU WILL BE LOST.

• Sun Tzu Helps How?

• “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.

Sun Tzu is a honorific title bestowed upon Sūn Wu (. 544-496 BC), the author of The Art of War , an immensely influential ancient Chinese book on military strategy. Sun Tzu believed in the use of the military sciences to effect outcomes that would result in peace.

In the author's name, Sūn Wu, the character wu, meaning "military", is the same as the character in wu shu, or martial art. Sun Wu also has a courtesy name, Chang Qing (Cháng Qīng).

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”

“Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.”

“Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win”

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...pv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=the+art+of+war+sun+tzu+quotes

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3200649

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  1. I`m Sun Tzu,it`s like 3 of me when i`m on my 1-2...Is that it?

2. Ford wind

I don't understand your question.

zhaoyun likes this.
  3. zdreg

zdreg

some of the idiots, personal attackers and egotists on this board are my best friends. they put a roof over my head,

4. You mean , you are on their payroll and you pay bills with their pay?They have interests to protect?

a roof over your head
    a place to live At least we have a roof over our heads and the children have something to eat.

5. zdreg

zdreg

they are thoughtful enough to take the opposite side of my trades.

6. Fordwind

You can't make a good discussion on the orignal post .

In this thread , it is all ego and bullshit , and you don't even know "what you are talking about"You sound like a clueless trader who does not really understand trading phsychology of the real trader , because you are not a real trader and never experienced it.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/i-can-teach-you-to-be-profitable-real-quick.300977/

Spill out your quality or I am placing you on ignore and I don't want useless discussions and riddles.

This thread is already going down the pan and E T has become this

I can teach you to be profitable real quick.What a plonker!
    Even the moderators had to come and defend you.

7. Sun Tzu strategy lesson
    “The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim.”
    A decision to act only is going to be successful if the action is appropriate for the situation presented. Having a quality strategy is very important, but being able to recognize the moment to strike and execute various aspects of your strategy is a very important skill as well.

This takes practice and requires you to be attuned with what is occurring in your respective marketplace.

The good thing is that as you continue to practice and this valuable skill you’ll notice that the law of attraction will kick in. More and more opportunities will come your way.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  9. The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

#10     Nov 22, 2016