Suggestion for new forums

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Trader13, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Trader13

Trader13

Can we have a new forum category titled "Trading Strategies". It will contain new forums like:

> Trend Following
    > Breakouts
    > Range-Bound
    > Fibonnaci
    > Earnings Announcements
    > Spread Trading (non-options)

2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

We already have one and its called Technical Analysis...

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/forums/technical-analysis.33/

The only oddball in your list is "Earnings Announcement". I'm not sure with forum section that would be within.

Instead, I think it would be best to have tags whenever someone creates a thread that requires them to check a list key words that would identify their thread. That way for example...if I wanted to only view #Breakout discussions in the technical analysis threads with the tag of #Breakout...it would only show me the search topics with that key tag.

Yet, I'm not sure how Baron could classify old threads in the technical analysis section that have not been key tag.

wrbtrader

Baron likes this.
  3. Trader13

Trader13

Tags would work! Classifying content by metadata attributes (tags) is an established form of content organization and indexing. But they would need to be a feature of the forum software to integrate tightly with each thread.

The category of TA is not inclusive of all the trading strategies (e.g., earnings, spreads[statarb], martingale). And finding relevant threads is cumbersome using Search alone.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    wrbtrader likes this.

4. "Earnings Announcement" threads could be in the Stocks or Options forum. Preferably before earnings to give everyone a heads-up.

5. deaddog

deaddog

You can start a thread on any topic you are interested in.

Pick a category that's close and title the thread so that it reflects your topic.

If there is any interest posters will contribute.

6. Trader13

Trader13

Gee, is that how it works? I've only been an ET member since 2004. Thanks for your insights.

BTW, several years ago I suggested to Baron that a new forum dedicated to Taxes would be beneficial. That worked out pretty well.

vanzandt and deaddog like this.
  7. bone

bone

I'm not so sure how "spread trading (non-options)" falls under Technical Analysis. To me it is a strategy.

wrbtrader likes this.
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Ahh...another exception from the group of Technical Analysis like Earnings Announcements that he mentioned.

Regardless, having the ability to setup threads by tags (key tags / hashtags)...will be good for thread identification, ET search and ET presence on social media.
    • Imagine if someone types #spreadtrading in Google and a thread from Elitetrader with the key word tag of #spreadtrading shows up in Google ?
    Excuse the above, I just had another one of those think outside of the box moments of using tags to identify usernames that use a word tag in their threads or messages. Thus, the more times they use the tag...the larger the circle with their username to help identify members interest in a certain topic along with identifying whom they were replying to concerning the tag.

We can then click on any username in the mapping that takes the searcher directly to the message post / thread.

ET-Username-Keyword-Social-Mapping.png

I've seen the above like mapping before somewhere but not as part of a forum in their search function.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021