Stops after hours?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Cuddles, May 29, 2017.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

Do you guys place stop-limit orders to work after hours or pre-market? I lost out on some breakouts due to a pre-market trigger. I'm just wondering if it's worth protecting after hours/pre market or market time only?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. lovethetrade

lovethetrade Guest

As others have mentioned, buying call/put options is an effective way to hedge yourself outside normal trading hours.

3. truetype

truetype

When I see a "stops after hours" thread, my first thought is "undercapitalized, scared money."

murray t turtle and lovethetrade like this.
  4. It won't do what you want it to do...there was never enough liquidity to have gotten the price you would take after you hit your trigger. God help you if you actually present the order to market (i.e. not hidden) and expose yourself to all measure of market making fuckery.

murray t turtle and lovethetrade like this.
  5. algofy

algofy

what markets? It makes a huge difference.

6. comagnum

comagnum

Do you guys place stop-limit orders to work after hours or pre-market?

Yes - only on the most liquid futures or forex - no stocks, and only during the European session - I am in the U.S.. Makes sense since the futures & Forex market move around the clock. Sometimes I prefer to get an alert and do the trade manually.

Keep in mind these are selective setups I may have been stalking for weeks that are well thought out trades with good risk mgmt.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  7. %%
    Some charting services name those ''irregular hours''
    Another way to do it spend/invest a lot of time finding a good trend, pre- market research, + post market research. So to answer the question-not much. By the way, i consider reading elitetrader part of research.....................................................................................

8. Cuddles

Cuddles

These are the trades in question. I had them set as stop-limit orders to work outside working hours, but it's my understanding that stop orders are market orders anyway so it shouldn't have worked?

And yeah I realize I should've waited for the pullback to get back in...

upload_2017-5-30_20-10-12.png
    upload_2017-5-30_20-17-0.png

9. What do you mean by "it shouldn't have worked"?

10. Cuddles

Cuddles

I suppose that even though I selected outside regular hours, a stop order becoming a market order can only happen during market hours so by same logic a stop>market>limit should only happen during market hours?

#10     May 31, 2017