Stock Index Futures Statistics

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Aaron Copland, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Agree.

Just the same, I've met a few traders that have a 45% - 51% win rate and still making significant amounts of $$$ consistently each year.

This implies there's other important things involved in successful trading besides the trade signal.

Mark

#21     Dec 6, 2007
  2. Oh oh...

There's that infamous use of the word always that gets traders into deep water due to the holy grail like expectations.

Mark

#22     Dec 6, 2007
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

as if it were guaranteed....:eek:

#23     Dec 6, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

This is a good enough win rate if a trader is playing the "kinds of things" and setups where he sees the r:r potential is >2:1.

If one were to categorize his trades to properly include "scratch/break even" trades... (say, +/- 4 ES points is actually a scratch), a 55-60% win rate would be outstanding.

#24     Dec 6, 2007
  5. Depends on the time period of the study. For 78%, I bet the study is looking at a very limited 4 month or so bull run. Over the last 25 yrs SPX cash close is up about 52% of the time from the day before. Of all the indexes the Value line is/was most bullish over last 25 yrs, about 58%, but it isn't traded any longer :(

#25     Dec 6, 2007
  6. ES cash close 1508.00. Now lets see how much it's up overnight. I know tomorrow is the jobs number so this may cause some distortion.

#26     Dec 6, 2007
  7. tradrdude

tradrdude

i've had overnight success by simply setting up an OCO order for overnight ES trades, to protect against a radical opposite market movement while you're catching your zzz'z... (just don't set your stops to tight)

scored about 9 points in last nights move (although, the bulk of the move happened within an hour before market open).

my 2.2 cents

#27     Dec 7, 2007
  8. This is golden buying the futures after the cash close, it seems to always rise overnight.

#28     Dec 10, 2007
  9. Check out this paper on the subject. These guys find positive average overnight returns of around 5 bps for the es ( about 3/4 of an es point), and that most of the return to stocks has come overnight in the last decade.

Probably to small to trade on as a standalone strategy but interesting.

#29     Dec 11, 2007
  10. Again up big overnight, this is amazing, it's so easy. To make money just buy the futures right as the cash market closes.

Now I see why the pros tell beginners to never hold overnight, they don't want to share this secret.

ES up 14.00

#30     Dec 12, 2007