Stochastic oscillator Question

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by chrischoir, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Hi, I have 2 charts both charts have Stochastic oscillator period set to 14.
    One chart have interval of 5 minutes the other is set to 1 hour interval.
    Why do the Stochastic oscillators look different? is software recalculating the 5 minute different than the 1 hour chart? thank you in advance.

upload_2022-7-28_23-38-13.png
    upload_2022-7-28_23-38-21.png

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

There are not scaled together so how can you tell they look different. A 5 minute chart has twelve times as many bars as a 1 hour chart.

Regardless Stoch or any other indicator will most of the time be different looking on different timeframes. It is when they "line-up" that you pay attention.

4. The 5-min shows action over the last 70 minutes. The hourly chart, last 70 hours.

easymon1 and murray t turtle like this.
  5. %
    IT sure is, on those charts;
    i measured it[before i rightly assumed it was].
    Same reason a 50 day moving average is different from 50 week moving average ;
    one of my chart systems auto translates a 50dma into a 50 wma.[Not to be confusing but IBD puts a 50 day movin average on its weekly charts, so in that case its the same]
    All the false signals= noise on 5 minutes is one reason even Don Bright Daytrading Co did not like 5 minutes charts. He said every ship wreck has a chart on the bottom of ocean.:D:D:caution::caution::caution:

6. easymon1

easymon1