Starting a public fund

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by destriero, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Was someone trying to make you stop trading ES?

#31     Dec 14, 2018
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I have pruned this thread back to the conversation at hand. Please stay on track with the topic and keep the gay bar nonsense out of it.

#32     Dec 14, 2018
  3. Baron.. I mistakenly stumbled into a piano gay bar in NYC years back... .. grandest time singing show tunes all night with my girlfirend and a bunch of chill talented guys..... just saying :)

#33     Dec 14, 2018
  4. destriero

destriero

What did I miss?

This would be an ideal fit for someone looking for better financing and perhaps 5x your starting cap at the start of year three. All of the principals are in their lates 30s, early 40s and came from tech.

Just to answer some questions received in PM. $5MM would be the outlier for someone with institutional experience. Not back office. More for someone with swap-trading experience outside of rates (var). I don't expect to find anyone to fill that roll. This was cheaper than a headhunter.

The ideal $5MM candidate would be someone with some institutional experience in prop or large retail. By large retail I mean a guy trading say $1MM or more who wants to go from $5MM to say $25MM in a couple of years. You're not working with Third Point or Millennium. There is no research department. You would have fantastic financing and access. Consider $5MM the ceiling. A large retail player would likely receive $2-3MM to start and a commensurate draw. The draw of $120K was based upon $5MM.

Don't PM without alluding to a track record. Don't PM to tell me that you're entering this awesome space and plan to make millions once you're up and running. Don't tell me that you require capital for inter-market arbitrage. Nobody here wants to steal your edge, but you gotta have one. I don't need to see your performance, but someone will. I'll need to know the broad strokes.

Daily catering and the gym in the building is awesome. There are a lot of good restaurants nearby. The residential towers in Uptown are nice. I have an apartment at The Miro, but I've only stayed a couple of weekends this past Summer.

There are some perks. Car service (never used it). They have a Mavs private suite skybox and you would have access.

You'd have to fly to Dallas for a formal interview.

Dallas is better than Houston (unless you trade the oil complex).

#34     Dec 14, 2018
    silveredge and kinggyppo like this.
  5. destriero

destriero

No FX. Can you trade futures? Sure. Some advice to any retail trading size. Don't mention TA. Also, you won't get anywhere by showing metrics across 12 different assets. I shouldn't have to state this, but no "income" vol-strategies.

You are (potentially) filling a niche. Ostensibly an expert in an asset class. Nobody will take you seriously if you are trading five or six different asset classes.

They are not looking for more than 6-8 people. A Sharpe of 2 is better than a Sharpe of 4 if the latter is a guy trading microcaps. Whatever you're doing needs to scale. You're not going to get anywhere pushing your performance in the $1-$10B capitalizations.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    #35     Dec 14, 2018
  6. You should have led with this...

#36     Dec 14, 2018
  7. destriero

destriero

lol well, it's the owner's box. ;)

#37     Dec 14, 2018
  8. speedo

speedo

Dallas is a great town.

#38     Dec 14, 2018