Home > Community Lounge > Health and Fitness > Spectre's Weight Loss Journal

Spectre's Weight Loss Journal

1. Its that time of the year again. I'm 6 feet 246 lbs. Mesomorphic. The weight loss is for my family (children). I need to be around as long as possible. Lot of the material things are all temporary. Assets get passed from one generation to the next. Whats important is to raise children with decent values and survival traits. So they can teach the same to their kids.

My goal is to reduce caloric intake, and switch to mainly vegetarian diet. Fruits and vegetables. Do away with corrosive carbohydrates. And also increase the amount of antioxidants. Also to minimize soda/pop.

12/31/2017 - 246 lbs.

2. https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

Calculation

The calculation of the body mass index is based on a height of 6 feet (183 cm) and a weight of 246 pounds (111.6 kilograms). If it does not seem to be correct, feel free to in our view, it can contribute towards health problems. By classification of the WHO, you are "obese".

Your body fat mass seems to be rather high. It may have raised your blood pressure and cholesterol levels, or affected the way your body handles blood sugar. Your doctor could tell you whether you are at risk for heart disease, stroke, or diabetes, or not.

SBMI = 51/70

This assessment is based on the newly developed Smart Body Mass Index. Its ideal range is between 30/70 and 39/70.

Your Smart Body Mass Index (SBMI) is calculated as 51/70 or "51 points out of 70".

Weight stability

At this weight level, you are at risk of gaining more weight. If you manage to maintain your current weight, you have reached your first and most important goal. Next you may want to lose weight: Do this slowly but surely.

Your SBMI will decrease by about one point every five years if you manage to keep your 246 pounds stable. This is due to the fact that the optimal, i.e. the "healthiest" BMI range increases with age, thus reaching higher BMI values.

Weight management

The best you can do is eat healthy food and increase your fitness. This will boost your health, whatever the case. If you reach your weight target, all the better.

Your target weight of 190 pounds

Your weight target is in the right direction but very ambitious. A fast weight loss of 56 pounds kilograms could be the initial phase of a yo-yo effect. It may be safer to try 19 pounds kilograms first, stabilize on the level of 227 pounds kilograms and then set a new target, if this seems sensible.

By the way, being fat without tobacco is better than being slim due to nicotine. The best advice for smokers is to postpone the weight loss and stop smoking first. To curb a weight gain, the following suggestions may be helpful.

Nutrition

Eat a variety of foods that you like, optimally including five servings of fruit and/or vegetables a day. Avoid eating too sweet, too fat and too much.

You have never been on a specific diet

Well done. The best diet is "no diet", as long as the body is getting a well-balanced, mainly plant-based mix of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, minerals, vitamins and enough, but not too much energy.

Physical activity

Do physical exercise at least for half an hour daily at moderate to vigorous intensity. Walking or cycling may be better for your joints than jogging

3. Dinner 12/31/17

Fruits and vegetables. Had a large breakfast in morning. Eggs and toast. Brownie plus chocolate chip muffin.

meds: ASA 325 mg(no baby aspirin for awhile), Lipitor 10 mg.

BP runs 130/80 .. cholesterol under 200 last check. Lipid profile inverted. HDL needs to be higher than LDL. HDL acts as a cholesterol scavenger from vessels. Reduces atherosclerosis.

4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17212793

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin

Ghrelin (pronounced /ˈɡrɛlɪn/), the "hunger hormone", also known as lenomorelin (INN), is a peptide hormone produced by ghrelinergic cells in the gastrointestinal tract[5][6] which functions as a neuropeptide in the central nervous system.[7] Besides regulating appetite, ghrelin also plays a significant role in regulating the distribution and rate of use of energy.[8]

When the stomach is empty, ghrelin is absorbed. When the stomach is stretched, secretion stops.a It acts on hypothalamic brain cells both to increase hunger, and to increase gastric acid secretion and gastrointestinal motility to prepare the body for food intake.[9]

The receptor for ghrelin, the ghrelin/growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHS-R), is found on the same cells in the brain as the receptor for leptin, the satiety hormone that has opposite effects from ghrelin.[10] Ghrelin also plays an important role in regulating reward perception in dopamine neuronsthat link the ventral tegmental area to the nucleus accumbens[11][12] (a site that plays a role in processing sexual desire, reward, and reinforcement, and in developing addictions) through its colocalized receptors and interaction with dopamine and acetylcholine.[7][13] Ghrelin is encoded by the GHRL gene and is presumably produced from the cleavage of the prepropeptide ghrelin/obestatin. Full-length preproghrelin is homologous to promotilin and both are members of the motilin family.

Unlike the case of many other endogenous peptides, ghrelin is able to cross the blood-brain-barrier, giving exogenously-administered ghrelin unique clinical potential.[

5. 1/1/18

@ 11:15 AM

242.6 lbs

The weight difference is from sleep dehydration plus bathroom use. Noticed it wasn't as easy to fall asleep. Woke up ate some protein. So skipped breakfast to compensate for extra protein intake last night. Goal is to not drink soda and stay away from carbs. Plus a glass of red wine every night. Red wine has anti aging compounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

Not diagnosed with any chronic conditions and no surgical history.

6. When I did rapid weight loss in past, I would check weight in morning and at night time before bed. I noticed every morning there would be a 2 lbs weight difference. Its mostly from dehydration of sleep. I would try to keep calorie intake under 2000 calories. And lbs would drop fast. With aerobic exercise they would drop even faster.

Last 7 years started doing more outdoor stuff in terms of property maintenance. The extra bulk and weight helped moving logs and chainsawing. Maintaining large amount of acreage, the extra bulk is needed at times.

7. I'd suggest that you avoid all of the obsessiveness and radical dietary changes. Skip the daily weigh ins. Once a week is plenty and only in the morning.

Changing your lifestyle gradually will be more successful and less stressful. Substitute complex carbs for simple carbs and bump up the exercise slowly. Eliminate the junk. In time, the weight will come off and your body will adapt and be less likely to have snap back weight gain.

Good luck.

8. U are v unhealthy and you need to lose a lot of fat asap. 1700 calories a day, 180g of protein, heavy weights in gym 3 to 4x a week.

Weigh yourself everyday and keep a log.

Probably lose about 1% to 2% of bodyweight a week. If you start plateauing drop calories by a 100.

9. 1/1/18, falling asleep still took time. Concentrating pinpointly helped. I don’t remember when I fell asleep. I was pretty disciplined throughout the day. Ate two veggie wraps for dinner. No soda or massive carbs. Exercised aerobic for 30 minutes plus outdoors work in single digit temps.

Main vice is still coffee every day. Coffee has been shone to have protective effects. May get snowshoes to hike the trails on property.

Walking or hiking has been shown to increase neuronal growth in frontal lobes.

10. 1/3/18

241.1 lbs, felt pretty empty and dehydrated upon waking up. Stuck to diet. No foraging or random food intake. Had vegetarian sub with some chips for dinner.

246--242.6--241.1

11. 1/5/18

Been drinking a glass of red wine or try to each night. No soda. If I lapse I punish myself by fasting a number of meals to make up for it.

12. If, while on a calorie-restrictive diet, you don't do resistance exercise in addition to your cardio, then you will lose muscle mass. If you lose sufficient muscle mass, then you will have difficulty losing additional weight. Your workouts should be hard, doctor permitting, so that you can activate all of your muscle fibers, particularly the fast twitch variety, and you should then focus on recovery. The older you are, the more recovery time you will need between hard bouts of exercise. If you work out hard but too frequently (insufficient recovery time between hard workouts), then, in due course, you will remain in a chronic state of catabolism, which encourages fat retention.

13. My shoulder span is pretty wide, I look mafioso with a nice suit on. I hate wearing suits. So loosing muscle might be okay to a point.

14. Losing muscle is never a good thing because, all else being equal, it slows down the metabolism. You will then have to eat even less just to maintain a given weight. I'd try to hang on to muscle as long as I could if I were you. And, to the extent naturally and reasonably possible, increase it. You'll be especially thankful in your later years.

15. 1/6/18

Ate more than usual Friday night.

16. 1/8/18 morning weight

17. Excellent that u r keeping a daily record. I would suggest to you that you take readings of skinfold fat via calipers at various body points. This can be a weekly exercise.

18. What’s been working is, I don’t eat till I crave a specific food. Than I will limit that quantity to keep under 1900 calories per day. If I feel like I took in too much calories for 24hr period, I skip meals the next day. Been drinking lot more water, had maybe 2-3 cans of Mountain Dew since start of the year.

I feel more energetic, mentally more sharper. I sleep less and feel rested. My pattern seems to work for me. In the past the weight would drop fast, but than I start getting cocky. Than blow my discipline, ends up being slippery slope. So this time, I won’t break it. I plan on building back up muscle mass around ~200 lbs. But still try to get to 190. The risk is discipline breaks during build up stage.

19. 1/10/18

I’m close to 10lb mark, goal is 190 lbs, but at 200 start doing weight training. When I do weight training. I end up loading on ton of calories. And diet becomes a slippery slope.

20. Intense exercise should act as something of an appetite suppressant. Regardless, you should be careful about what you eat. Personally, I love carbs, but too much of them, and especially the wrong kind, will nudge you down that slippery slope. Eat modest amounts of lean meat and a lot of vegetables/salad but be very circumspect about the dressing. No one ever got fat eating garden salad. Choose fruit for desert, but be more sparing with the fairly sweet tropical variety. Don't avoid fat in your diet, but don't go crazy looking for it either; it will find you. Try to get most of your your fats from plant sources. Regardless of the latest media reports, I'd still opt for low-fat dairy, preferring to remain on the safe side. Oh, and say goodbye to pop/sugary drinks forever; trust me, you'll get over it. Even pure fruit juices should be had sparingly.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/preventive-medicine-different-year-same-best-diets.316811/

21. Can you give some examples?

22. In my own case, I prefer walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almond butter, ground flaxseed. There will be some (saturated) fat in the lean meat, salmon, fat-reduced cheese and whole eggs I eat as well. I'm sure there are other foods, but those come to mind at the moment. The 2-3 cups of milk I have each day are skim, so they don't count.

If I recall correctly, and forgive me if I'm wrong, I think you prefer saturated fats. I know it has regained some popularity. Even so, the DASH diet still seems to be favored on balance by the majority of mainstream health professionals.

23. In my catabolic State, it’s hard to exercise, feel weak. I still manage to do 30 minutes to get body temp up and clear pores. Weights will be more challenging.

24. If you are indeed in a catabolic state, then you should not be doing any meaningful exercise. When you exercise, your go into breakdown, below baseline - catabolism. You then need to recover, go above baseline and into a state of anabolism. That is when you are recovered, refreshed and ready to have another meaningful bout of exercise. If you keep exercising too soon before you adequately recover, then you will just be digging a deeper hole for yourself. And the older you are, the bigger an issue this becomes since recovery takes longer. That's the theory. And it makes sense.

25. Sounds like you're starving yourself and trying to exercise on top of that. Keep it up and you're headed for a trip to the ER. Been there, done that. Stop trying to make this an overnight event. Eat a well balanced diet and exercise/weight train vigorously 3-4 times per week. If you're losing more than 1 to 1 1/2 pounds per week, it's too much, too fast. You'll be the thinnest, most fit looking guy on the ER table. You will be malnourished, nutrient and mineral deficient, and your muscles will be weaker than when you started. Slow and steady wins the race.

26. How do u know you are in a catabolic state?

27. Yeah...saturated fats are great...essential in hormone production.

No idea what DASH diet is....

Mainstream health pros tend to be fat and unhealthy.

28. Disagree...the OP needs to lose fat as quickly as possible without losing muscle. Assuming he is say 30% bodyfat, fat loss of 5 pounds a week is possible. Don't go below 1200 calories, eat plenty of protein and fats and weight train 3 or 4x a week. No cardio!

29. What's possible and what should be done are two different things. From reading his posts he seems to be doing cardio and no weights, eating less than 1200 calories sometimes and not eating properly. Sure he can starve himself and do it much faster, but why. In the long run the overwhelming majority of these take it off fast diets fail.

30. Starving himself leads to muscle loss as Fred as pointed out i think. Don't do it.

31. Why no cardio?

32. A part of the reason diets fail for me in the past was, I wasn’t able to see progress fast enuf. As the pounds drop, mentally it gives you reaffirmation of what your doing. The only reason for the me the weight rebounds is when I give up on diet because I feel too confident, than discipline breaks. So for me it’s either one extreme or the other.

I have Paul Banyan arms, it’s from doing a lot of work outside moving trees:logs and chainsawing. I live in the country side, and may be considered a red neck.

I can afford to lose muscle, I was picking up things at a store once, and dude came up to me asked me if I was with local NFL team.

33. Cause you'll burn muscle.

34. Not sure if you know this guys. But there is a fasting euphoria/ mental clarity that creeps up on you. Lot of the great thinkers fasted. I think it has a lot to do with blood brain barrier and some food components crossing over, interfering with natural chemistry. When fasting, only bodies natural chemistry play a role in neuronal signaling.

35. Symptoms of overtraining are a good place to start.

36. Keep focusing on saturated fats and, in the fullness of time, your cardiologist will tell you all about the DASH diet.

37. The thing is, when you try to lose weight too quickly, two things will happen. You will almost certainly lose some muscle mass, and you will be on a dietary regimen that is unsustainable. And then, when you eventually rebound on the diet, you will overshoot. Enter the yoyo. As others have said before, you should strive for a sustainable dietary regimen. Steady wins the race, and it shouldn't even be a race. People who want to get results too quickly, be it in diet, training, trading or whatever, often get disappointed.

38. I eat 4 eggs a day, one extra large avocado, loads of desiccated coconut and tons of salt.

My BP is around 115/85 at rest.

39. What are the symptoms of over training? I would like to know since i train 6x a week.

40. Are you not a personal trainer? And, if so, should you not know what they are?

41. For context, how old are?

Some people are more sensitive to sodium than others. But I can't imagine that anyone fares well over time with "tons" of the stuff. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect that it will catch up to you eventually, as will an excess consumption of saturated fat.

42. Early forties

43. Yes, i am a certified PT but non practising. I really don't know the signs of overtraining. I believe it does exist but it is quite rare.

Let's forget about the artificial environment of the gym for a while. Let's look at a manual worker say in construction. This dude might be doing some seriously heavy work for many hours every day, say 5 days a week. Would you say he would be a candidate for 'overtraining'? Does he in fact suffer these from this? How does he continue to do his job if that is the case?

44. To answer your question, here is a list of overtraining symptoms presented in a book I posted about a while back:

1. General fatigue
    2. Persistent muscle soreness
    3. Joint soreness
    4. Elevated heart rate
    5. Irritability
    6. Loss of motivation
    7. Depression
    8. Insomnia
    9. Loss of appetite
    10. Weight loss
    11. Decreased sex drive
    12. Susceptibility to infection or disease
    https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/training-for-mass.309233/#post-4457050

To answer your other question, a manual laborer can potentially "overtrain," so to speak, especially as he gets older. Some people are more resilient than others but everyone has a limit. And keep in mind that it is not very difficult for someone training to true failure to reach an overtrained state. Most physically demanding jobs don't require that kind of intensity, which is why they can get away with longer "duration" and more "frequency."

45. Thanks. I don't have any of the symptoms mentioned. I'm going to research this further. I'm actually wondering if i personally can do even more sessions in the gym, say twice a day! Will keep you posted.

46. 235.1

1/12/18

47. Yes, please keep us posted. And when you do, give us an indication of the volume, intensity and frequency so that we can put it all into context. Also an approximate percentage breakdown of compound vs. isolation exercises.

As an aside, I wonder why it is that you would even feel the need to work out twice a day. Even half a lifetime ago, when I was doing far more than I needed to, the thought of going twice a day never occurred to me, nor could I have accommodated it into my schedule.

I'm reminded once again of Arthur Jones. You may not agree with his conclusions, but there is undeniable wisdom in his comment, and I paraphrase: Instead of trying to find how much exercise we can tolerate, we should try to find out how little exercise we actually require.

Stated differently, why overpay?

48. A key thing that’s been working is foregoing calories till you crave a certain foods taste. Than only eating small portions of that food craved. The less calories you eat over time is your greatest asset. Time ticks away, and the more you let it tick away, the greater the calorie deficit.

I’ve also been doing 30 minutes of cardio intermittently. Past patterns, I’ve been probably eating 3000-3500 calories. Now about 1800.

49. breaking 230 big deal. Looks like a derivative chart. Support at 230.

50. That's all well and good, and it's great that you're making headway, but exercise some caution as you try to get the balance right. Because the problem with meaningful denial is almost certain and eventual overcompensation. So the idea is not to be hungry, but to eat foods that can sate you without inflating you. "Sate but do not inflate."TM You should learn to enjoy the foods that are good for you; that's the real paradigm shift. And you can for it. It just takes a bit of time for your taste buds and body to acclimate. And when they do, losing weight will not be such a chore. The problem with hard work is that we tend to want to reward ourselves.

Anyway, sorry for posting too much on your thread. Please continue to post your progress, and best of luck.

51. Post as much as you would like. Goal is still 190lbs. My wife said I weighed 202 when we met. At 202, it felt good riding sport bikes. She has the Peleton bike, I think she placed in the top 10 percent out of 900 people online.

Getting the treadmill version coming out mid year.

52. For me i went down to 1400 calories per day and this did have its share of side affects so i had to adjust my intake to closer to 1800/2000. When your a grownup and your used to 3000+ calories, dropping down to under 2000 is a big jump. You may experience some dizziness after one or two weeks, i know i did and i had to increase my intake of protein. But when i first approached the diet, I used some logic or at least it worked for me. The body doesn't know how to tell us what to eat, we just get hunger pains or we have the empty feeling. But hunger is associated with lacking nutrients, hence the feeling of hunger.
    My diet consisted with nutrient rich foods with healthy fats, avocado's, certain nuts and certain types of fish, also eating nutrient rich greens with meat forces you to eat slower, hence being fuller faster. I also found that eating highly spiced (not Hot) foods curbed my appetite quicker and kept me fuller longer. If i chose wraps i used lettuce, cabbage or any other large leafy green that does or doesn't need pre-steaming. when i ate snacks i ate combination vegetables like sugar snap peas and carrots, this curbed my appetite verses just carrots. There is also much research on foods with a lot of spicy(heat) benefiting ones diet, by way of suppressing hunger longer. Get an eye dropper and Try two drops of ghost pepper sauce in your mouth and you wont be eating for at leased 4 hours even when your hungry.:D

Good luck Speck!

53. 1/14/18

Had a large bowl of cereal yesterday.. felt full after. Friday I ate more than usual. But made up for it yesterday.

54. I wanted add something since you mentioned breakfast, when I did breakfast i sometimes ate hard boiled eggs, but i removed the egg whites. I read somewhere that the egg whites caused inflammation. I don't know if that was true but i did notice that just eating the Yolks made my morning food craving go away and gave me a full feeling from just eating 2-3. The yolks are packed with different vitamins and minerals. If your daily protein consumption is adequate than missing that bit in the morning wouldn't be a big deal. Not sure if you would get the same affect but it did work for me.

Good luck and great job:thumbsup:

55. 1/20/18

233.8 lbs.

been lapsing here and there. But resolve is back. There is something about fasting that works. Going into calorie deficit, let’s you pick the meal you wish to eat. At same time need to be careful with amounts.

Water intake seems to be less with less calories consumed. I kind of have to force myself to drink more water.

It’s very easy to accumulate calories by popping chocolate or other snacks throughout the day. Giving up soda has made a big difference.

Apart from outdoor physical work,I don’t exercise on a regular basis. I pop a Lipitor when I remember.

56. I have the Aria 2 weight scale. At start of the year I had to redo the upload link.

57. 1/21/18

58. 1/22/18

Getting into the 220's will be reaffirming.