snore..ZZZZZZ.... another sleeper for S&P

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Jdesey, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jdesey

Jdesey

geez, ES Sept contract only traded 1,200,000 ct's during regular session, 12 point range,,, good long opportunities early on, but then ZZZZZZZ.... someone wake me up when summer low volume is over please..

2. comagnum

comagnum

Classic summer dull drums - low volume & all the action is early on. But hey, the NQ/FTSE/DAX/HSI/NK evening session was rockin!

3. Jdesey

Jdesey

I don't think this is just summer.... I will search for some better data... but look at this by the decade.... we are at a volume level per day we have not seen since 1990's

Fact-File-SP6.png

4. comagnum

comagnum

Open interest over the years is kind of flat.
    Volume looks like its fading.

Eric Hunsador - CEO Nanex:
    V = Volume, L = Liquidity, P = price move
    High V + High L = Small P
    High V + Low L = Big P
    High V + #HFT only L = Flash Crash

Open Interest
    ES_V.PNG
    Volume
    ES_OI.PNG

5. Jdesey

Jdesey

well, I like to think this way... if you can make money in this stock market, with low volume, low daily range, and low volatility... then you can sure make money when things (if things) get back to normal

6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Don't forget...don't get married to your trading instrument especially when its not suitable for trading. Therefore, find something else to trade that's more suitable for trading via your trade method.

Thus, you can find something else to trade whenever Emini ES futures isn't suitable for trading or you just stay on the sidelines.

Simply, the goal is to make money...not get stuck on a trading instrument that's not suitable for your trade strategy unless you're ok with the less activity.

By the way, trade methods that are suitable for low volatility...most likely are not suitable for high volatility or vice versa. Reality, in many cases, the problem is that some try to apply the exact same trade method for different types of market conditions.

d08 and algofy like this.
  7. Jdesey

Jdesey

well, I am not ready to say that ES doesn't trade enough volume to trade it... it is just low right now... still way more volume than the DOW, NAS, RUSS E-mini's

8. Jdesey

Jdesey

9. algofy

algofy

Been this way for a long while in the ES.

wrbtrader likes this.
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Very true.

I started seeing common complaints about Emini ES volume and volatility since the summer of 2015.

In fact, there use to be a website that publicly posted the world's top 50 volatility trading instrument and top 50 liquidity trading instruments. That site closed early 2015 but I do remember that Emini ES futures was slowly declining in rank on that list.

I suspect Emini ES futures is going to be this way for the remainder of 2017 but I hope I'm wrong. If you have a trade method suitable only for high volatility trading conditions...you'll be doing a lot less trading this year...watching and waiting or reading a lot of good books.

I just bought two books on gardening. :sneaky:

Maybe things will liven up when Emini TF futures returns to the CME but I highly doubt it. ;)

The key is different type of strategies for different types of market conditions. Yeah, performance level won't be the same but that should be a given considering market conditions have changed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    #10     Jun 19, 2017