Smithfield Foods to close Sioux Falls plant indefinitely amid COVID-19

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SunTrader, Apr 12, 2020.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

https://www.nationalhogfarmer.com/b...-sioux-falls-plant-indefinitely-amid-covid-19

Side note for those not aware Smithfield (the largest pig and pork processing company in the world) a company integral to Chumpie's claim of China making yuuuuge purchases of American farm products is now owned by:

Smithfield Foods, Inc., is a meat-processing company based in Smithfield, Virginia, in the United States, and a wholly owned subsidiary of WH Group of China. Founded in 1936 as the Smithfield Packing Company by Joseph W. Luter and his son, the company is the largest pig and pork producer in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield_Foods

Another Chumpie :finger: to his puppets.

2. hafez50

hafez50

I've read of 4 or 5 processing plants closing. I've noticed the grocery stores not that crowded but in many stores the shelves only 2/3's full . Means there's supply issues hitting. Noticed the meat at costco only about 1/2 full

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  3. FrankInLa

FrankInLa

So, the great food shortage in China that was proclaimed by some on this site never happened but shortages at US stores kicking in?

4. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Hope we don't get widespread food outages, we're buying soup chili tuna ramen etc to stockpile

5. southall

southall

I just noticed my favourite chilli ramen noodle soup prices have more than doubled on Amazon, almost triple the price they used to be.

They defintely not worth it at that price.

KCalhoun likes this.
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

I'm fine as long as Total Wine & More stays open and stocked. :)

7. SteveM

SteveM

Another couple months of shutdown and we will be standing on lines to pickup our monthly 20 pound bags of rice from the National Guard distribution points.

bullmarket79 likes this.
  8. manonfire

manonfire

Control oil and you control nations. Control food and you control the people.

Henry Kissinger

KCalhoun likes this.
  9. southall

southall

We got a 6 month stockpile of raw ingredients. Flour, Rice, seeds and beans etc. To make Indian dishes.

Might have to make do without Steaks, Beer and Coca Cola at some point.

Veggie food + water for six months if needed. Will probably do me good. Add a couple of years onto my life.

10. S2007S

S2007S

the higher the food shortage and the longer the lines at the food banks the higher equities go...seems absolutely nothing bothers the markets especially last weeks 12% gains which was the highest in nearly 50 years!!!!!!!

#10     Apr 12, 2020