Short-locating QQQ vs. Buying PSQ - Novice Day Trade Help

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by lbhere, Sep 28, 2020.

1. lbhere

lbhere

Today is the fourth time I have tried to short the QQQ and have not had the shares available to me. I have NOT tried downloading my platform's (TS) extra app because it seems like an extra step that takes time that I don't really have in day trading.

So please help me out. Is going over to the PSQ and going long better than getting the "short locate" app and taking the time and paying the money to locate shares??

What do most people do? Is it much more expensive to locate additional shares and purchase them in this manner??

What do you do??

Thanks in advance!

2. Arnie

Arnie

Just buy SQQQ, but keep in mind its 3x QQQ

lbhere, murray t turtle and KCalhoun like this.
  3. A blessing in disguise?

lbhere and murray t turtle like this.
  4. trdes

trdes

So far TQQQ has not been hard to borrow even when QQQ and QLD was at least on the platform I am using(TS which looks like you use too). It moves relatively close to the way QQQ does, it's levered 3x and cost less than half of QQQ per share.

lbhere and murray t turtle like this.
  5. trdes

trdes

He did mention he is day trading, so if he couldn't short today, he missed out on several decent moves. I couldn't short QQQ either, thankfully I have TQQ, QLD and etc up as well or would of missed out on a decent day myself.

lbhere likes this.
  6. lbhere

lbhere

So instead of "locating", you pop over to an inverse QQQ chart and go long?

This is what I was thinking would be more expedient. So there are no issues going LONG on an inverse when you can't get short on the main ETF?

Are the fees with the inverse worse or better than locating, do you know??

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. lbhere

lbhere

Doubtfully. I already would have been out long before the time I wrote the first question.

But I hear ya!

formikatrading likes this.
  8. trdes

trdes

I don't know, I do the most effective thing for me personally which is shorting TQQQ, as on TS it has not been hard to borrow for me on any days so far. I do not like the way the short ETF's move, I can't effectively day trade that.

I chart NQ futures, but I still mostly trade TQQQ and will also trade QQQ and QLD. This allows me a lot of flexibility as I can be overall short and hold some TQQQ short from higher up and still take some long positions on QQQ or QLD against that.

lbhere likes this.
  9. lbhere

lbhere

3x is a bit too aggressive for me right now. But I was thinking about the 1x (1:1). Other than it being more aggressive, is there a reason you say the SQQQ?

Thanks.

10. lbhere

lbhere

Thanks. I will look into this one.

#10     Sep 28, 2020