Sheriff Arpaio: GOP Presidential Candidates 'Hiding' Obama Birther Issue

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Apr 10, 2012.

1. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ndidates-birthers_n_1412259.html?ref=politics

Joe Arpaio, Arizona Sheriff: GOP Presidential Candidates 'Hiding' Obama Birther Issue

Joe Arpaio, sheriff of Arizona's Maricopa County, believes GOP presidential candidates and politicians are "hiding" the issues of Obama's eligibility and the authenticity of his birth certificate released by the White House last year.

"I've had presidential candidates visit me in my office. I've talked to every one of them," Arpaio, who had endorsed Rick Perry in the GOP primary, told radio host Aaron Klein Monday on New York’s WABC station. "I don't see anybody talking about this. I don’t see any senators talking about it."

"This is a potential crime," he continued. "How come everybody's hiding this?"

Arpaio has been at the forefront of the birther movement, working with his "cold case posse" to lead an investigation into Obama's documents. At a press conference last month, Arpaio claimed that there was reason to believe that Obama's birth certificate had been altered. He's since expanded his probe in an effort to get ahold of the president's Selective Service card.

It's not just national politicians that are being suspiciously silent on the issue, Arpaio told Klein on Monday. He noted that Arizona Republicans -- once supportive enough of the birther movement to pass a bill requiring presidential candidate to prove their U.S. citizenship -- were no longer reaching out to him. Arpaio has since spearheaded an effort to revive the failed legislation, claiming that he's working against a media conspiracy "bigger than Watergate."