Send Bailout Money to California, Now!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 377OHMS, Nov 5, 2010.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Ok, we've had our election and we're standing firm on marxist leftist liberalism here in California. The only problem is, we're broke.

So we need the federal government to send *massive* Bailout and Stimulus funds to California ASAP so we can continue our liberal lifestyles, sanctuary cities and lawless city administrations.

The state is going to appeal to President Obama for help and we're going to get it. Money from Ohio, Indiana, Florida and North Carolina will be used to prop up our limousine-liberal lifestyles. Lattes for everyone!

We're going to use money from Georgia, Alabama and Minnesota to build this really cool highspeed train from Disneyland to Harry Reid's house in Nevada and that is going to take big big money. Think gas tax in New Jersey. Think sales tax in Maryland. You need to figure out ways to get that money out west as soon as practical so we can build some windmills and stuff.

We are just so fucking superior to you in our Prius enjoying the fine weather and sipping a half-caf skinny carmel mochiatto while wearing dark sunglasses and looking oh so smug.

Do the right thing, send money to Jerry Brown. He really needs it for important stuff LOL. :D

2. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256734081528528.html

Big Texas Deficit Puts Governor in Tight Spot

Perry Wants Cuts Alone to Close Gap, But Critics Say Solution is Shortsighted

By ANA CAMPOY

DALLAS—A Texas-size hole in the Lone Star state's budget is putting pressure on Gov. Rick Perry, who is running for re-election this year as a model fiscal conservative.

Mr. Perry, a Republican in office for a decade, is touting his tax-cutting prowess and tight-fisted spending record as proof that he remains the right man for the job. He has maintained a wide lead in polls.

But as the state's budget shortfall widens—to as much as $18 billion, or about 20% of the next two-year budget, according to the state legislature's latest analysis released earlier this month—critics are complaining that Mr. Perry's policies have left the state with little room to reduce spending.

"There is no way that they will be able to come up with $18 billion in cuts," said Eva DeLuna Castro, a senior budget analyst at the Center for Public Policy Priorities, a nonprofit that advocates for low-income Texans. "They would have to shut down our prison system."

Conservatives say that while cutting enough to balance the budget will be hard, it can be done, and that the governor is the right man to do it. "He has worked hard to encourage the legislature to keep spending within the revenue available," said Talmadge Heflin, director of the Center for Fiscal Policy at the Texas Public Policy Foundation, a conservative think tank that backs limited government.

States in the Red

Most states have addressed or still face gaps in their budgets totaling $196 billion for fiscal year 2010, while tax revenue declined in the final quarter of 2009 in 39 of the states for which data is available. View interactive

The governor's cost-cutting zeal is being questioned after the Associated Press reported he had spent some $600,000 of taxpayer dollars over the past couple of years to rent and maintain a luxurious home while the official governor's mansion was repaired after a fire.

The state's Democratic Party responded to the report with a YouTube video that flashes images of the governor's rental home—complete with wood paneling, a chandelier and a heated pool—and plays the theme music from the television show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

"While Texas families tighten their belts…why should we pay for Perry's extravagant rental mansion?" is the video's closing line.

A spokeswoman for the governor said that he, too, is cutting back, slashing his office budget by 10.8% and asking the agencies that fund his living quarters to reduce spending by 5%.

Texas doesn't levy an income tax and boasts that it has one of the nation's lowest overall tax burdens. Those policies, Mr. Perry has argued, have attracted businesses to the state and strengthened its economy. While many states saw their economies shrink in 2008, the first year of the national recession, Texas continued to grow.

But the economic downturn is catching up with Texas. Sales-tax revenue started falling in February 2009 compared with the previous year, and only started to recover a bit in April of this year.

Although Mr. Perry has railed against the federal economic-stimulus program, billions of dollars from that initiative helped Texas legislators balance the current budget. Those funds won't be available for the next budget.

Political analysts say the state's financial woes may bolster the campaign of the Democratic gubernatorial candidate, Bill White, the former mayor of Houston.

Mr. White said the governor has focused on shortsighted fiscal policies, including plugging budget holes with stimulus money. "For 10 years Rick Perry has failed to develop a long-term budget," he said.

Mr. Perry countered that he has ample budget-balancing experience and that he overcame a $10 billion deficit in 2003. He has promised to put the state's finances in order without raising taxes. As an initial step, he and other state leaders this month ordered budget cuts of $1.2 billion across state agencies.

"These reductions reflect our state's ongoing commitment to keeping taxes low by limiting government spending, a key aspect of the continued strength of our state's economy," he said.

Local officials, meanwhile, worried they would end up bearing the brunt of state cutbacks.

"Our great fear is that they will dump a bunch of unfunded mandates on counties," said Elna Christopher, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of Counties.

3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

A cut and paste monkey crapped all over my thread!

I've got my personal plan mostly in-place. I can actually dodge California income tax completely and can dodge most of the sales tax. I can completely avoid all California vehicle registration, smog checks and any vehicle fees.

I still have some exposure to property taxes but they haven't attacked Prop-13 yet so I have some time. I also have some exposure to sales tax on a few non-food items at the grocery store but very little. I'm exposed to any rate hikes on water or utilities for the time being. Still I'm pleased with the degree to which I can live in California and not participate in the financial mess. Its become a hobby.

They outlawed california ammo purchases on the internet but that doesn't go into effect until Jan1 and I've got a huge pallet of .308 on the way (the future currency of the Golden State).

Is there any way else I can screw these liberal assholes out of my tax money? Any ideas considered (well, the ones that don't land me in jail). It will be necessary for me to keep a house here for another 5-6 years.

4. Republican hypocrisy at its finest

"Although Mr. Perry has railed against the federal economic-stimulus program, billions of dollars from that initiative helped Texas legislators balance the current budget. Those funds won't be available for the next budget."

5. Your thread was crap from the start.

6. "The governor's cost-cutting zeal is being questioned after the Associated Press reported he had spent some $600,000 of taxpayer dollars over the past couple of years to rent and maintain a luxurious home while the official governor's mansion was repaired after a fire.

The state's Democratic Party responded to the report with a YouTube video that flashes images of the governor's rental home—complete with wood paneling, a chandelier and a heated pool—and plays the theme music from the television show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

"While Texas families tighten their belts…why should we pay for Perry's extravagant rental mansion?" is the video's closing line."

7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

You just joined Gabs on ignore. Bye.

8. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

just put them on ignore and your thread is clear again.

If you refuse to put them on ignore, then don't quote them so that those of us who have it on ignore don't have to read it - which is why they were on ignore in the first place

9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

There, much better now. Should have just dumped you guys long ago.:)

10. Hilarious!

#10     Nov 5, 2010