Selling Options at Institutional Levels

Discussion in 'Options' started by arturo100, Jan 3, 2022.

1. I would be very interested in understanding a little bit more on how selling option premiums is handled at institutional levels. I mean, when you see a big initial selling of a given option who are the players usually involved? Is it more often a single order order or it is combined with one or more options or with the underlying? Any pointer to resources or books that would start me on learning on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

generally with a counter party like a bank’s flow desk. Their orders are typically pre-arranged and come to the floor with a buye and seller already determined.

Atikon, solidstate, rb7 and 2 others like this.
  3. Very interesting, thank you.I understant that the pre-arrangement of a trade might be a sensitive topic, but may I ask your exprience on this topic come from common knoledge or is related to your work experience?

4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

work experience

Mazedonia and qlai like this.
  5. zdreg

zdreg

It is probably not much different then selling a large block of stock.

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

At Interactive brokers any customer can call the desk in Chicago and they will shop your 500 lot minimum order off exchange. Less for spx.

zdreg likes this.
  7. 2rosy

2rosy

called broker shows. the broker calls around to MMs or other institutions and gets quotes/executions

qlai likes this.
  8. traderjo

traderjo

So if such trades are done off market then are they bought on to main exchange? if not is it just OTC trade with counter party risk

9. 2rosy

2rosy

I didn't say they are done off market or OTC. I said brokers call around MMs and institutions to find interest and then execute them on some exchange