seeking mentor in HK

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by cwl18, Aug 1, 2007.

1. cwl18

cwl18

Hi all, I am a new trader seeking a mentor in HK who can guide me to trader successfully. I am willing to trade my time to help the person to do research etc. for the mentoring.

I am still new to the game. I read a lot of different books, been to many seminars, courses, looking at different indicators, markets etc. I’ve found most advices I got from different people and rules I learnt contradict each other. And after 2 years of learning by myself in the dark, I am seeking someone who had been trading for a long time and trading profitably to guide me in this journey. I wonder anyone in ET can pick me as an apprentice or point me to the right direction of where can I find such a person. Thanks in advance.

clayton

2. cwl18

cwl18

so there are 77 views but no one reply?

i wonder how many trader are from HK in ET?

clayton

3. So...

You are offering your 'time' in exchange for a successful trader's secrets? You are offering to do research? What type of research? Surely you must know that most traders trade off of price action and not fundamentals. Some may use formulae through which they process prices in order to filter good trades, but that work has already been done.

So basically you have nothing to offer, but you're asking for a secret that can change your life, one that tens of thousands have sought but failed to find.

You said you've been reading contradictory information. Can you provide us with several examples? Trading is pretty straight ahead, in theory. You develop a game plan and try to execute it. What was your game plan? Have you actually traded using real money?

Maybe if you posted something about yourself and your trading ideas (what is your background, what do you know now, what time frames are you interested in, what instruments are you interested in, etc), you would get some feedback.

To get a job as an assistant at an established firm usually requires a business degree, I believe.

The fact that you didn't even do a search to find one of the ten thousand posts exactly like this here on ET indicates that you want to have things handed to you. If you had done the search, you would have seen that this question has been asked and answered already.

I see a ton of posts like this, but I never see anyone say "I want to post my trades for analysis". If you did that you would get a lot of invaluable, free information - plenty to help you straighten out the flaws in your trading plan and help you to possibly achieve success (if you have in fact ever traded, something we don't yet know).

4. LOL.

This is a funny reply.

5. cwl18

cwl18

Thanks for your reply traderNik, i take your reply as a constructive criticism.

I am stuck in a situation that i am losing my confidence on my trade and I second guess my trade, got chicken out when the trade turn against me. All mistakes that newbie have made.

I know it is a fact that traders do spend a considerable amount of time looking for new systems, back testing them etc. I may come in and offer to do these work instead. I am doing this myself anyway so i don’t mind doing this for someone else. Maybe someone already had a system in place and are finding someone like me to sit in front of the computer and trade it for them. Or some other stuff that the person would like me to do.

I bought most of my trading books on amazon.com. When i am searching for a good trading book to reading, I also look at the comments on how other readers on the author. I found out that most trading books had a mixture of good and bad comments. When i am reading a trading book, i always ask myself why a person who would prefer to write a book on teaching how to make money trading and not trade himself. And I am second guessing on their intention as well as their systems. Well i can carry on about this but the bottom line is: most people who start trading loses money and only a minority percentage of traders are profitable consistently.

I am working full time as a financial planner in a retail bank in Australia, and due to family reasons i am moving back to HK to live in there. I am basically a guy who sell managed fund in a bank, earning a decent salary but i give it all back to the market in terms of my trading. I lost half of my initial capital of 60K USD in the market during my 2 year as a trader, losing my money steadily. I tried different markets, stocks, bonds, futures, options, different indicator combinations etc. You name a system, and I probably read them from somewhere or tried it at one stage of my trading life. I am not complaining that i lose money because i believe you need to 'pay' your tuition in this game, but i would rather learn from someone else rather than finding myself wondering in the dark.

And yes i did a search on the forum before I start this thread, and i don’t find much useful information on what i need, i.e. another person asking a mentor in HK.

One last point, i rather find a real person and sit with them and watch them trade at real time, because i know it is all about psychology, the fact that i mentioned i lose my confidence in myself when i am in a trade, i have turn my winning trade in losing trade so many time, and i always chicken out and cut a lost quickly instead. So i have lots of losing trade with few small-profit winning trade.

I hope my honest in here will flush out some traders in HK who can come up and offer their help. Or someone who knows some good traders in HK who can refer me into them.

Clayton

So...

You are offering your 'time' in exchange for a successful trader's secrets? You are offering to do research? What type of research? Surely you must know that most traders trade off of price action and not fundamentals. Some may use formulae through which they process prices in order to filter good trades, but that work has already been done.

So basically you have nothing to offer, but you're asking for a secret that can change your life, one that tens of thousands have sought but failed to find.

You said you've been reading contradictory information. Can you provide us with several examples? Trading is pretty straight ahead, in theory. You develop a game plan and try to execute it. What was your game plan? Have you actually traded using real money?

Maybe if you posted something about yourself and your trading ideas (what is your background, what do you know now, what time frames are you interested in, what instruments are you interested in, etc), you would get some feedback.

To get a job as an assistant at an established firm usually requires a business degree, I believe.

The fact that you didn't even do a search to find one of the ten thousand posts exactly like this here on ET indicates that you want to have things handed to you. If you had done the search, you would have seen that this question has been asked and answered already.

I see a ton of posts like this, but I never see anyone say "I want to post my trades for analysis". If you did that you would get a lot of invaluable, free information - plenty to help you straighten out the flaws in your trading plan and help you to possibly achieve success (if you have in fact ever traded, something we don't yet know).

6. That's good, it wasn't meant to mock or demean you, just to give you the facts.

You have provided a bit more information. In my opinion, it's almost certain that an experienced, profitable trader who has paid his dues and has a winning method is not going to PM you and tell you that you can come to his office/home setup in HK and he will show you how to trade. 90% of the responses you get here will be from people who only want to sell you something, and who will lie to you to get you interested.

If an experienced trader does agree to show you how to trade, you can consider yourself very very lucky. Please understand that although you seem to believe that there is something you can offer a winning trader in return for him giving you the ability to trade well, I seriously doubt that this is the case.

You describe classic newbie problems and you even seem aware that the problems you are facing are the classic ones. If you already know what your mistakes are, there is little you can do except to try to come up with a way not to make them. Most people lose their money without even understanding what the problems are - in this sense you are ahead of the game.

If you want to watch winning traders and cannot find someone to mentor you, you may be able to join a prop outfit where you can watch winners trade, although I don't know much about how prop works.

If you have no luck in your search for a mentor, I strongly suggest you do what is slow but effective - come on here and start a thread asking for help in trade analysis. Post your trades with screenshots and detailed explanations for your entries and exits. Once again, this seems to me to be the best way to take advantage of the traders here, and believe me, if you did this and did the work necessary to post in this way, you would get a lot of helpful feedback.

7. reg

reg

I would suggest that you research if there are any prop firms in Hong Kong (such as Swift), go in for an interview and check the place out, and try to hook up with their most successful trader if you should decide to join that firm. Try to offer the trader a profit split if he/she should agree to take you under his/her wing.
    This is more of an incentive for them rather than you offering to do research, etc.
    Your chances of finding a profitable mentor on a message board like this are slim and none.
    Sorry to hear about your trading losses and I wish you good luck in your search.

8. cwl18

cwl18

Thanks for all the reply

First of all i am happy to negotiate with the person as to how we can work out the deal as long as i got what i need. ie a flat tuition fee or a profit split for my trading. I will make sure it is a win-win situation for both parties.

also, anyone knows any prop firms in HK apart from swift trade? i did a search on the internet and not much comes up. I dont know what prop firms are called in Chinese so i can't do a chinese search.

clayton

9. Just an FYI... any trader who is successful in trading most likely is not looking to take money from you for lessons.

The ones that are good don't need money...

10. I was in Hong Kong a few months ago for business.

Considering the HK mentality... I doubt there are prop. firms you can committ to in this area. Also, I've lived in Sydney for a few months for a small business thingie.

There's quite a few Hedge Funds operated in HK. You would be better off joining these firms to learn how to trade. During my last visit to Hong Kong, I had the opportunity to goto the International Finance Center i‘Û‹à—Z’†Sj and when I took a look at their tenant directory, I've noticed at least 2 dozens of hedge funds operating in the building.

You're a marketer. Talk your way into one of these firms. Don't expect to get a trading job at first... Join as a marketer and work your way around so that the traders can teach you how to trade.

Also, Asian finance and US finance industry is very different. You should take caution when you are reading career advice in this forum. Some of the posts don't exactly match the global standard.

The advices you're getting are very much US standard. I'm not saying it's wrong. European and Asian finance industry doesn't exactly reflect the industry.

FYI: Chicago and NYC has the best traders in the world. No doubt. (Retail? Hard to spot... I know there's a "Rainman traders" in Seattle and Houston. Quite a few in Florida)

#10     Aug 3, 2007