SEC rejected the Bitcoin ETF again

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ajacobson, Jul 26, 2018.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson

Details pending - just hit a couple of minutes ago.

2. Cuddles

Cuddles

Coins going red...

3. Just another example of who BitScam will unravel

murray t turtle likes this.
  4. Peter10

Peter10

this shows SEC is still in their senses.

5. Ridiculous considering how many other far riskier ETF's have been approved and have come to market.

If the goal is to ultimately protect the small investor you can start by getting rid of all those bullshit 3X ETF's and etn's that lose value by design.

People want to be long Bitcoin without sending money to sketchy exchanges that could go bust. This ETF makes it safer to do so.

There is clearly a strong bank lobbying effort in the background.

johnarb likes this.
  6. Peter10

Peter10

so why adding more high risk ETFs since there are so much already.

7. Bitcoin again came below $8000 following this news after touching the highest levels of $8500 this week.

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Could be but BTC is still DOWN 50% YTD.

9. bln

bln

It's the same old application that was filed 2 years ago and rejected first time 1 year ago.

I believe it was rejected because the underlying asset of the ETF is unregulated.

The two Bitcoin futures are regulated by US Gov and an ETF/ETN using these as underlying asset have a much higher chance of being approved.

As I understand there are currently five different ETF/ETN applications in the pipeline for SEC approval. The Winklevoss ETF was one of them.

10. Gotcha

Gotcha

I believe that the ETF would have to hold bitcoins. They can vanish just like they have at bitcoin exchanges. One day, your ETF that you own might also go belly up.

Contrast this with an ETF that holds stock/shares. They can't ever be stolen electronically.

#10     Jul 27, 2018