Scalping: Do You Have or Believe in a "Sixth Sense"

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ps0013, Nov 2, 2018.

1. ps0013

ps0013

Let me preface my question with the following:
    I don't make my living by trading (yet). I get crushed by having too many shares in a trade every so often, so I am not suggesting I am anything but a "work-in-progress."
    Not even profitable yet.

But, I have spent thousands of hours in front of various trading platforms over the years.
    As of the last couple of weeks it seems as though I have a pretty good feel as to when I am in a trade, what the direction is about to be. (without any technical signals) Maybe coincidence. I have started tracking my trades and reviewing the direction after I have exited, and I am pretty pleased to see that I got out more often than not at just about the right time.(but there are those times I say, sh8t, 10 more minutes and I would have doubled my profit.)

So, I am wondering if you believe in having a trading "Six Sense" or feeling for the very near future of price direction.

I have searched "Sixth Sense" in past threads, but don't see this direct question.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. volente_00

volente_00

Coulda woulda shoulda has no place in a successful traders thinking

Muffhands and tommcginnis like this.
  3. There is no sixth sense, there is just sub/unconscious competence.

[​IMG]

Like any task requiring skill you 'feel' what will happen as your subconscious is trained. Same as driving a car or riding a bike.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    soulfire, Cypherdude, LS1Z28 and 6 others like this.
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Let your 'pre-cognition' be a well-laid trailing stop-loss.

Expectancy is $ence.

ps0013 likes this.
  5. ps0013

ps0013

Hopefully, I am crawling into the GREEN area now...

Slartibartfast likes this.
  6. Sprout

Sprout

Whenever I hear the 'sixth sense' the association is of the movie with the same title.

I agreed with the above concept and image on a general level.o_O

Science has defined equilibrioception, kinaesthesia and chronoception as contextually relevant to your question. The vestibular system gives us a sense of velocity, which would have us perceive changes in momentum.

There are many more distinctions:

https://bigthink.com/philip-perry/think-you-have-only-5-senses-its-actually-a-lot-more-than-that

The neuroscientist video is interesting and explains why I enjoy multi-colors in annotating my charts.

:D

Slartibartfast likes this.
  7. There are more "senses" (chronoperception is one a scalper may have honed) as you say but there is no precognition in the traditional understanding of the 'sixth'. The idea of a sixth is a notional place holder for the effect of the others making your guess, very good.

We all get that gut feeling about what is about to happen next, sometimes we are right. A noob is thinking about the feeling consciously, a good trader is pressing some buttons already even if its to reduce exposure.

I've lost count of the number of times I got out in a Futures scalp because I just wanted to be out NOW :) Sometimes nothing happenes but I am usually correct. I just accept it.

ps0013 and Sprout like this.
  8. Nope.

Years ago an old timer gave me this advice.... "When you get a gut feeling about the market, get up from your trading chair, walk over to the closest door, and beat your head against the doorjamb unitil that feeling goes away."

9. %%
    Ever seen someone drive a stick shift,PS0013/21??Its easy to do without looking, after a while.They either look @ tach or listen to engine, to know when to shift. Sorry, but demos//paper trading, driving are so much, much easier than real life trading+ investing.

And if you are not making a profit you say,why would you say you are getting out @ right time??
    I'm still bullish on ETF small caps; even if i'm wrong this year, which may or may not happen; i'm picking my shots/slots, so not a problem. And since average bear market is 1-3 years, or less,factor that in. See?? NOt a prediction.:cool::cool: Good question.

10. Sprout

Sprout

hmm, about precognition haven't you had deja vu? More specifically the type where in dreamtime, I 'sense' in this dreamtime moment it will happen in the future during waking dream. Then some time in the future as it becomes the now, I have this moment of 'rememberance' of that specific dreamtime moment in the past.

It seems to happen more when I eat sushi late at night. :p

As for the gut, I think it's why eating live cultures (fermented foods, kombucha, etc) and regular detoxing supports gaining some acuity in this 'second' brain.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...rain-in-our-gastrointestinal-systems-excerpt/

#10     Nov 2, 2018
    tommcginnis and murray t turtle like this.