Robert Shiller: Stocks Massively Overvalued; Worried about Stock and Housing Markets

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, Oct 20, 2009.

1. http://www.subprimeblogger.com/2009...-worried-about-the-stock-and-housing-markets/

Subprime Blogger
    Your Mortgage News Source

Shiller: Stocks are Overvalued; Worried about the Stock and Housing Markets

By: Jesse Wojdylo

Posted on | October 19, 2009

Robert Shiller, Yale Finance Professor fells that stocks are overvalued and he is worried about the stock and housing markets. Shiller is quoted as saying “somehow we got into this really speculative mentality and I don’t think we’re out of it yet.”

Shiller told Tech Ticker in a video link here that the current booms in the housing and stock markets can’t be trusted to continue.

The current rebound that we are seeing is quite amazing. Shiller points out that you have to go all the way back to the Great Depression to see a turnaround in the stock market so quickly. With this being said Shiller feels that stocks are currently overvalued as he has put a P/E valuation of around 20 on the current market. This is well above the average over the course of time.

Robert Shiller is one of the brightest minds in America and everyone should read his book Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy And Why It Matters for Global Capitalism. Some of his other interesting books include Subprime Solution: How Today’s Global Financial Crisis Happened and What to Do about It and Irrational Exuberance. His knowledge and understanding of financial markets has made him a great predictor of future market directions.

2. []

Shiller is quoted as saying “somehow we got into this really speculative mentality and I don’t think we’re out of it yet.”
    ------------------------------------

I wish Schiller would explore that statement. Who is "we" and why are "we" so speculative. I'm guessing he doesn't know, hence the broad statement. OR the "we" and "speculative" is the gov't pumping up the market and bada bing bada boom the elephant in the room.

Secondly, his statement "Shiller feels that stocks are currently overvalued as he has put a P/E valuation of around 20 on the current market." C'mon he is a brilliant guy why toss around a comment like that which we could find on a yahoo board.

The man is a genius perhaps this is just a book promotion news blurb.

3. Then Shiller should go short...and then tell us how he did...????

Does Shiller really run money ?

This always separates the wheat from the shaft....

4. LOL... is this a miss-quote, or are you being cleverly punny?

5. ......................................

Exactly....

Is it not amazing how many pundits exercise the "freedom of speech act ?" and use it to the degree that one thinks that they are for real ?

This borders on fraud....

In the sense that there is an unjustified belief that these pundits actually are making money themselves.....solely based on their commentaries....

There are so many of them....

There should be a "filtering" process ....instead of reading the very small print.....there should be a publicly displayed actual record of managing money....

Otherwise what is this ?

This was particularly prevalent in brokerages in past years....and were some of the worst records....

Wheat from the "shaft"....

6. Chagi

Chagi

Shiller is probably more worthwhile to listen to than most, given his track record. Irrational Exuberance was an excellent read (both editions).

7. So, let me get this straight...

You disagree with the guy and suddenly his opinion borders on "fraud".

The ability to say what you want - even if others don't like it - is what separates this country from most other tyrannies.

Is anyone holding a gun to your head forcing you to trade on this information?

No?

Well, then I think the only shaft you should worry about is your own.

8. When I'm long I just love big worriers. Bring em' on.

I love the top callers and crash addicts.

When they all get optimistic then it's time to worry.

9. .............................................................

1000% Correct....

The more pundits....the more confusion....the more participants ....the better....

There is nothing better than a bigger more diverse market....

What is interesting is when a pundit captures a listener....the listener acts with their savings....whereas the pundit does not....

Pundits often never follow their own advise....and never make available their personal actual records.....but yet want the public to believe that THEY are meaningful in some way....

In a way this is comical....

It is amazing what people will do....

Big difference between being book sellers....media sellers....and actually running money....

The more fools the better....

10. the1

the1

I keep buying because the market keeps going up. That's speculative!

#10     Oct 20, 2009