Richard Dawkins, Famed Atheist, Supports Free Bibles In Schools

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, May 25, 2012.

1. and so do i. as long as it is taught critically. nothing makes atheists quicker than an understanding of who wrote the bible and why:

He is a famed atheist, a disbeliever in the existence of an Almighty, and now an outspoken supporter of bringing Bibles back to state schools in England.

Richard Dawkins, the well-known British atheist, wrote in the Guardian that he supports education secretary Michael Grove's plan to send free King James Bibles to every school.

In fact, he said he would have even donated to the cause insisting that: "A native speaker of English who has never read a word of the King James Bible is verging on the barbarian."

However, Dawkins has an additional motive for supporting Secretary Grove's plan.

"People who do not know the Bible well have been gulled into thinking it is a good guide to morality," Dawkins writes. "The surest way to disabuse yourself of this pernicious falsehood is to read the Bible itself."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...in-public-schools_n_1542318.html?ref=religion

2. I suggest a pilot program.

Let's start with free bibles in schools that have metal detectors.

(How quaint, teaching from a book in school)

I got another idea, let's have gay teachers conduct bible studies.

"A native speaker of English who has never read a word of the King James Bible is verging on the barbarian."

Do you know how many native speaking English kids in school are on psychotropic meds or classified as learning disabled?

Let's give them a bible before they turn into barbarians.

3. Nutmeg is not without sin , he is throwing stones again.:).

4. I try to go to confession once a year (anniversayr of 911) the preist invariably says something along the lines that I need to confess some sins ( I can never think of any......:cool: pretty messed up and I leave without a blessing).

5. maybe you should ask the priest if he has any to confess?

6. :D

Hey...:D

I never thought about that.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

You want them reading in the cockpit?
    :confused: :)

8. ehhh..never get off the ground...:cool:

9. Mav88

Mav88

I would settle for getting them the ability to read Cat in the Hat, but we would have to make it something they would want to read like "The Cat in the Hat Shat on the Mat" or the classic "Horton Hires a Ho"

10. Brass

Brass

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.

-- Isaac Asimov

#10     May 25, 2012