Relocating to a new country to trade. Where do I go?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Howard, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Howard

Howard

Hi all,

I'm interested in relocating to another country for a period of time to focus on my trading business, but I'm not sure where to. Initially, I'm thinking for 2 or 3 months and will re-evaluate as time goes by.

Considerations:

• I day trade US index futures, so compatibility with that time zone without 'weird hours' is a requirement.

• I want to minimize my cost of living while retaining a reasonable standard of living.

• I'd prefer to live in or near a city.

• A nice climate is always nice, but not a requirement.

• A solid internet connection is a must.
    Thanks in advance for any pointers. :)

Howard

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

3. wartrace

wartrace

Get a sailboat and live off the hook on the intercoastal waterway. Cheap boats are available and you could use multiple 4g modems and a cradlepoint router for solid internet connections. It is about as cheap as you can get in the US.

jl1575, VPhantom, comagnum and 4 others like this.
  4. Howard

Howard

Puerto Rico might be an alternative, but tax wise I can't exploit that unless I expatriate permanently. I don't plan on doing that yet, although it is an option for the future.

Thanks for the suggestion and link. :)

5. bln

bln

Central and south America or the Caribbean. Same time zone more or less. Europe if trading during evenings 3:30pm to 10pm is doable.

Howard likes this.
  6. zdreg

zdreg

your answer is a shoot from the hip uninformative an answer you don't even consider tax consequences and living conditions. they do vary widely from country to country, not least of which is language.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Howard likes this.
  7. toc

toc

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2014/04/06/top-5-expat-friendly-countries-with-no-capital-gains-taxes/

Most of the countries on this list have very high cost of living.

However, Malaysia or Belize in this list have NO capital gains taxes.

Do not know about Belize but Malaysia has nominal per capital income of $11K meaning nearly $1K/month will get you decent lifestyle including own apartment on rent. Trading hours might be "very wierd".

Belize will have better trading hours and also a quick hop to Cancun beaches to meet darlings on invitation to enjoy the trading profits ;-)

ironchef and Howard like this.
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Seems like some of the Caribbean places have decent living standards. Panama, Costa Rica, and Jamaica come to mind.

Howard likes this.
  9. LanceJ

LanceJ

I seriously considering this as well. I would like to do a fact finding mission to Puerto Rico this year. I've never been there, but has many positives already. Good Time zone, Low cost of living, San Juan is probably reasonably modern, close enough to travel back to the US if necessary.

VPhantom, Cuddles and Howard like this.
  10. zdreg

zdreg

re: Jamaica
    "
    Unfortunately, no it is not safe right now. There is a state of emergency in effect due to the recent violence around all the tourist areas in Montego Bay Area. Please google: “How safe is Jamaica 2018” to find all the details. We have gone to Montego Bay and Runaway Bay the 3 years and have had wonderful vacations.Feb 2, 2018
    Is it Safe to travel in Jamaica now? - Jamaica Forum - TripAdvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k11227284-Is_it_Safe_to_travel...
    "

#10     Dec 27, 2018
    VPhantom and Howard like this.