Reasonable expectations for Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by John9999, Feb 27, 2018.

1. lol hahahhahahahahah man o man. I will stick to the futures

#41     Feb 28, 2018
  2. punisher

punisher

While your calculations are solid, the problem here is that you are comparing apples to oranges.

Investing nor even multi day swing trading can NOT be compared to day-trading. In day trading your are investing the most precious asset which is time. You can't be doing anything else when you are day trading. Failing to realize that leads to those comparisons that make no sense. For a daytrader, his capital is only a tool that he uses to make daily gains. It is not an investment per se.

Separate issue is when people are comparing returns of big funds, CTAs etc and telling what day-traders can or can't achieve. What a small guy can do (with leverage) is often not possible for big fat guys.

#42     Mar 3, 2018
    Bobbybax, Sprout and fan27 like this.
  3. tomorton

tomorton

Sorry, I don't get it.

#43     Mar 3, 2018
  4. Day trading is not investing, is short time gambling like poker.

#44     Mar 3, 2018
  5. schweiz

schweiz

For you it is. But therefore it is not valid for every trader.

The logic "I cannot so nobody can" is false.
    And comparing with poker is complete nonsense.
    That's my personal +20 years experience as daytrader.

#45     Mar 3, 2018
    volpri and Xela like this.
  6. tomorton

tomorton

Sure its technically gambling, because money is invested with the object of profit in an enterprise with an uncertain outcome. But do you consider all forms of gambling the same? - say, poker as opposed to the lottery?

#46     Mar 3, 2018
  7. schweiz

schweiz

In life everything is technically gambling as you need 100% certainty to escape gambling. So death is the only things that is sure and no gamble. All the rest is.

#47     Mar 3, 2018
    tomorton likes this.
  8. punisher

punisher

let me know which part of what I said you don't get or you disagree with and I will be happy to elaborate

#48     Mar 3, 2018
  9. I don't say that, I am a profitable daytrader too, is gambling with a EV+ based in skills and experience (like poker, I was low stakes player before trading), but not investing.

#49     Mar 3, 2018
  10. tomorton

tomorton

I'm just calculating capital from a number of trades, against capital from investing. The time it takes to determine, run and exit each trade is excluded but of course this differs between day-trading and long-term trading.

Still, whether its 1 trade/day as I suggested or 10 trades per day, the potential return over a year is greater than that from investing in something like the S&P.

so what is your point?

#50     Mar 3, 2018