Question regarding spreads as related to orders/Stop loss

Discussion in 'Forex' started by cbtrader1, Jan 17, 2022.

1. cbtrader1

cbtrader1

I've been trading forex about a year and have slowly improved consistency/discipline, etc as I have narrowed in on my set-up of choice and am now working to master it.

However, I'd like to know if the following scenarios are simply "part of trading" or indicate a problem with my broker.

I live in the U.S. and use a major ECN broker for my trades, but a separate vendor for my charting software. (The 2 accounts are not linked).

I've had several occasions in which I was stopped out for what was initially unclear reasons.

After calls to my broker, I figured out that the charts on both my brokerage and charting sites use the MID price when displaying candles.

The charting software also uses aggregate prices to form the candles, which may vary to some degree from the book of Bid/Ask held by the broker.

If I switch the chart to Bid or Ask, I was then able to see the variance of price specific to my broker and identify that my stop had in fact been hit.

Ok, I get it. That seems to be just a part of trading.

But last week I had a very strange situation when trading AUDCAD on the H4, I had a sell limit order that was awaiting the breakdown of price. I had put that on around 9:50a local time.

At 2p, my order executed AND was stopped at...both at the same time.

It turns out there was an abrupt widening of the spread around that time (for reasons I can't really identify) AND both my entry and SL orders had significant slippage.

This was identified by checking the BID and ASK-based charts; this was a very different appearance than the MID-based chart on my charting platform.

(As in, my $2 of risk on my micro trade resulted in a $3 loss).

I called the broker and talked to a confused agent who then put me on hold for 30 minutes and never came back.

***Is this normal?***

***Is this just part of trading?*** (It feels very much like what I imagine 'bucket shops' were in days of old).

I just found this experience demoralizing as I am starting to find consistency.

In the near short-term, I'm going to start checking the BID and ASK charts prior to putting on a trade.

This feels like algorithmic stop-hunting...not specific to me...but because others probably saw a setup in the same area resulting in a bunch of clustered orders. (I don't believe any broker cares about MY micro trades, but rather the clustered trades).

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. DevBru

DevBru

If you want an useful answer you will have to share the broker and the exact time this happened.

3. If strictly inside the day, then 10-15 points is enough because the stop loss is placed from the levels and the levels are primarily the top bottom of the renko candles and other things.

4. cbtrader1

cbtrader1

Forex.com

AUDCAD on January 13, 2022
    Trading on the 4 hour Chart.
    Signal was the Inside bar/Pin bar combo.
    Entry was a Sell Limit at 0.90990
    Stop Loss was semi-based on ATR plus a few given the tall Mother Bar at: 0.91260

As I said, that was entered around 9:50a local time, the order ticket shows execution for BOTH orders was at the same time....2:00p local time.

These are the prices that were actually executed:

Entry: 0.90870

Stop: 0.91285

5. DevBru

DevBru

And what is your local timezone?

6. In the foreign exchange market, it is difficult to clearly set stops, so they say risk in percentages, and in futures markets, stop in points

7. cbtrader1

cbtrader1

Pacific Time Zone

8. DevBru

DevBru

Can you post a minute chart from that day/time?

I took a look at AUDCAD on Tradingview from forex.com, it shows spike but nowhere near the levels you mentioned.

I expect it to be caused by some kind of unexpected news release or announcement of some kind, when those things happen bid/ask can be extremely wide.

9. cbtrader1

cbtrader1

The following is set to show the ASK offers via Forex.com's website....I agree that Trading View does not show price ever reaching these levels. You have to go directly to Forex.com, then look at both Bid and Ask charts for the same time period.

Agree that it was likely (hopefully??) some aberrant algo/news event that I'm going to try to prevent moving forward by using BID/ASK charts (as well as accounting for the cost of the spread in my Stop placement).

Thanks for the input.

[​IMG]

10. cbtrader1

cbtrader1

Last thing: Please note that I forgot to move the SL/Entry lines to the correct price before taking the picture.

They both were within the range of price on the Ask and Bid charts respectively.

(For others that are new like myself, you Sell at the Bid and Buy at the Ask...since I was was selling/shorting for entry, my Stop was a Buy to close the trade).

#10     Jan 17, 2022