Puerto Rico for digital (US) nomads

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Pekelo, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes...o-is-perfect-for-digital-nomads/#7928e2682f59

"Insane Tax Incentives

On January 17, 2012 Puerto Rico enacted Act 20 as a way to incentivize new businesses and economic growth on the island. As a bona fide Puerto Rican resident, there are a vast amount of personal and business tax incentives that you can take advantage of. That is why digital nomad John Lee Dumas, of Entrepreneurs On Fire, decided to move his podcast empire to Puerto Rico. Act 20 means you only pay a flat 4% corporate tax rate -- no state, no federal. It is like doubling your income overnight.

Cost Of Living

While not quite as affordable as some other places in Asia, Puerto Rico is still significantly cheaper than most other places in the United States. I was able to find a cozy three-bedroom apartment in San Juan with electricity included, within walking distance of the beach and a Starbucks, for only $650!

No Passport Required

Traveling to Puerto Rico is just like going to any other U.S. state -- all you need is a valid driver's license or state ID. As a matter of fact, Puerto Rico is one of only two destinations in the Caribbean (the other is the U.S. Virgin Islands) that does not require U.S. citizens to carry a passport,"

birdman likes this.
  2. speedo

speedo

Three bedroom apartment in San Juan for $650??! SJ is a great town but pricey.

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

I assume the hurricane kind of destroyed a big chunk of the local real estate, thus the prices have increased since...

4. SunTrader

SunTrader

Do the math lol - 3 bedroom is considered multi-family in P.R.

5. rwnomad

rwnomad

Budget 10X that amount for a safe and secure place to live.

Sig and d08 like this.
  6. Palindrome

Palindrome

Living in the Caribbean is like Ground Hogs day. It's cool for a couple weeks, but then you see the same idiot ride by, playing the same song, the same time a day...every day.

Pekelo likes this.
  7. Sig

Sig

I've driven across the island a couple times and it was quite disheartening to see that every single house, even the nicest ones, seemed to require metal bars on every window strong enough to deter someone with a crow bar. I had friends stationed there and it was definitely a love it or hate it kind of place; you had to be a special kind of person to fall into the "love it" crowd. Too bad because it would be fun to live there otherwise.

8. sle

sle

There are pockets of "niceness" but most of the island reminds of the NYC in the late 80s/early 90s. While it's possible that it will be the place to be, especially considering the tax situation in the blue states, I think that time is not around the corner.

9. Sig

Sig

That's a very apt comparison. We can only hope if follows NYC's trajectory!

10. SunTrader

SunTrader

Sounds about right. But how many times has someone said "if only I had bought then ..... I knew these cheap prices wouldn't last forever.". I just knew, I just knew. ;)

#10     Aug 22, 2018