Project/idea/task management software?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by sle, Jun 6, 2017.

1. sle

sle

Not really a trading software question but this is probably the best place to ask.
    i am increasingly getting swamped with stuff to do and many things seem to fall through the cracks. Some of the issues left overboard are sub-tasks related to live strategies, some are just ideas to check, some are follow-ups to specific questions that I or others have asked.

Can anyone recommend some sort of idea/project/task management software where you can branch ideas and sub projects, add comments, statuses and set deadlines for things to do?

2. bpr

bpr

I use producteev. give it a try

3. sle

sle

Lemme google it

comagnum likes this.
  4. I just use a single post-it , that reads

Take Head Out Of Ass

That covers most of what I need to do in day.

5. wave

wave

6. tradethetrade

tradethetrade Vendor

I tried quite a few...trello, producteev,jira but the one I like the most is clubhouse.io.

freedinner likes this.
  7. You mean a project management tool which can generate Gantt charts and stuff like that? On Ubuntu they have "Planner" available. However, I have not tried it myself.
    There are enough tools that let you make todo lists, but not so many tools that actually do project management, including deadlines per task, Gantt charts, resource allocation, and so on.

8. birzos

birzos

Jira

9. 2rosy

2rosy

open a free bitbucket repo. set it to private. create an issue tracker in it

10. sle

sle

No, not a project management tool, at least not in a sense that software people use it. I find that most of my work (me and my team, that is) falls into three buckets:
    1. "ad hoc experiment" whereI look at some results and say "oh, I should add some X feature to solve or improve Y"
    2. "house cleaning" where I have some repetitive task of limited scope and need to automate it
    3. "pipe dream" where I come up with some idea and need to do some work to see if it could turn into a real strategy
    House cleaning projects I usually delegate or simply take a day or two to push them out of the way. There is no reason to strive for perfection there because as my world evolved, these tasks change and the tools will have to be rebuilt anyway. The clutter mostly relates to points 1 and 3, ranging from "I had an idea relating to X, but I never got around to checking it" to "I built a spreadsheet/R script/Python script to check this effect but I can't remember where I saved it" to "I remember discussing adding an a scaling factor to this aspect of the strategy, then we had a follow up conversation what was it about".

Not sure, to be honest - it's the first time in my life I have a broad enough mandate that I am struggling to keep up. Feels like every idea/experiment turns into results/thoughts that need further follow up that in turn lead to more of the same. Maybe, it should be something that builds a set of collapsible tree of discussions with ability to add links to other media and maybe set reminders if any of the branches is a "task". Maybe a discussion forum type software that does that, actually?

#10     Jun 7, 2017