Profiting from New tax plan

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cuddles, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

So record VIX sub 10 closes has not been a boring market? :)

I guess this leads to another old saying, "if you apply enough leverage, no market is boring.

#21     Dec 18, 2017
  2. sle

sle

Well, all things considered we have seen a few interesting events along the way :)

PS. This particular year has been a nightmare. If not for some good dispersion results, I'd be looking for a new job.

#22     Dec 18, 2017
  3. Yeah, I second that... And one of the things that didn't work bigly was short bonds. And the expression just didn't matter.

#23     Dec 18, 2017
    sle likes this.
  4. sss12

sss12

not quite 1600, but high in first half with narrowing of market, pulling back after that.

#24     Dec 18, 2017
  5. sss12

sss12

Yes, the short bond trade had everything line up that was supposed to be the catalyst. Strong econ numbers, strong equities, and now the tax cut...but it just did not happen.

I don't know, lower rates overseas attracting the bond bid here ?

#25     Dec 18, 2017
  6. Possibly... Alternatively, it could be some bid from the pension fund community. Who knows.

#26     Dec 18, 2017
    sss12 likes this.
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Not exactly. Foreign buyers got killed on their dollar exposure this year. That "extra" yield cost them big time if they didn't hedge their currency risk. A common explanation is that large trade deficits, specifically to China, causes those countries to build up dollar reserves which in turn get used to buy our treasuries. One of the benefits to running large trade deficits is foreign countries become defacto lenders to the US driving rates down. It's not all benefit though, your exposing your currency to devaluation.

#27     Dec 18, 2017
    sss12 likes this.
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

Looks like this is pretty much a given....any suggestions for 'morrow?

#28     Dec 19, 2017
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Bonds came off two full handles. You want more? LOL.

#29     Dec 19, 2017
  10. sle

sle

10s/30s are steeper indeed :) but, as a systematic guy, I was sitting on the sidelines

#30     Dec 20, 2017