Pro fees and commissions

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by SoCalOptionsWriter, Mar 22, 2023.

1. If I, for tax reasons, turn my IB account into a LLC and a S-Corp, does that mean I have to notify IB and pay higher commissions and data fees?

2. qlai

qlai

Yes on data fees, No on commissions.

Edit: for US equities.

Databento and KCalhoun like this.
  3. Any idea how much the fees would go up? Trading almost exclusively options on e-mini futures.

4. Do you mind explaining how this helps with taxes? Options on e-mini futures are section 1256. 60/40 tax treatment. Mark to market at year end. If you make llc/s corp my guess is you are trying to draw a salary, which turns some / all of this 1256 income into ordinary income, subject to FICA taxes and taxation as ordinary income which I believe in all instances higher than 60/40.

If you were a stock / stock option trader, this can totally make sense

5. Databento

Databento Sponsor

Agreed with @qlai, your commissions should remain unchanged, but your data fees may change.

However, if you trade exclusively on CME options on futures, keep in mind CME has a non-professional self-certification process which allows small business entities to remain considered a "non-professional", so if you were considered a non-professional before, there is a good chance that you'll still fall under the same conditions even if operating the same way except with a business entity.

qlai likes this.

6. Hey, thanks much! Will definitely look into it. I do wonder, though, if I don't do it (self-certification), what would the fee hit be?

Databento likes this.
  7. speedo

speedo

Yes, some brokers will just have you sign an affidavit attesting that you are independent and only trade your own funds.

Databento likes this.
  8. virtusa

virtusa

Correct. I traded thru a company and did not have to pay professional data fees. I gave a copy of the deed of incorporation of my company which mentioned that I traded only own funds. Never had a problem.

I wonder what would happen if I would trade an account on my wife's name. Professional fees or not???

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    Databento likes this.
  9. And what are the professional fees at CME?

10. mervyn

mervyn

$169 per month for equity futures minium by cme

#10     Mar 23, 2023