Prime Broker

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by StLouisTrader, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Is anyone using a prime broker? I'm considering setting one up to pay for sell-side equity research via commissions. My "wish list" would be someone with low fees as I want the extra "cost" to go for research, not other services. I'd also need them to accept a low account minimum of $1-$2 million. I've heard M.S. Howell's (sp?) may fit this profile, but don't know much about them. Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Mercator focuses on that segment, located in Ja Jolla work with institutional accounts only.

PM me if you want contact info.

3. Many thx, anyone else?

4. dabao91

dabao91

What is the definition of "prime broker"?

5. Anvil,

I Just heard from a friend who know's Mercator and his (institutional) broker just went to work there, so now I have two good options to investigate. Thanks again. Another name or two would be much appreciated if anyone know's of other brokers.

6. danc

danc

I have used primer brokers before, but I have found that they arent worth it. I use IB for institutional execution.

7. dabao91

dabao91

I have used primer brokers before, but I have found that they arent worth it. I use IB for institutional execution.

So IB become your "prime broker"? and you do not have to pay extra?

8. jumper

jumper

danc-

in order to do away trades, you have to have a pb account. why would you say that it's not worth it? he said that he needs to pay comms for research. what else are you recommending?

9. Can someone please explain what prime borker is?
    What does it do that a retail broaker does not do?

10. loik

loik

Prime Brokerage

#10     Nov 11, 2007