Pre-Paid Bitcoin Cards

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by vanzandt, Apr 16, 2017.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

100 Giftcards in any convenience store... and not one for Bitcoins.
    There are ways to do it, via one or two transactions... but why not have the ability to buy a card that is basically a wallet.

Walk into Circle K... throw down $50... and get your own personal wallet and $50 worth of Bitcoins in one simple transaction. Go back and load it as needed. No ability to cash it out however. Only for purchases.

I'm sure I'm probably missing something here. Kinda new to the BTC thing.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    johnarb likes this.
  2. dealmaker

dealmaker

One bitcoin is $1180.50 that's why....

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

I think on the various exchanges one can buy as small as they want. BTC's are certainly divisible. I think they call em satoshi's.

johnarb likes this.
  4. johnarb

johnarb

Yes, you can buy fractions of a bitcoin. .001btc would be about $1.20. You would not want a pre-paid bitcoin card even if one was offered to you for sale. Bitcoin ownership depends on owning the private key to the bitcoin wallet and keeping it private. If a bitcoin prepaid card is for sale, how would you know the private key inside does not have another copy or copies somewhere else where the card was printed?

You can lookup trezor or ledger nano as hardware wallets that are portable. There's also a bitcoin wallet on Android that's trustworthy (make sure it points to github repo Andreas Schildbach).

If you have an Amazon account, you can go to purse.io and purchase items for others in exchange for bitcoin. You can use the website as your wallet, but beware that if the site goes under, your bitcoin is gone. Best to have control of the bitcoin private keys and no one else, hence trezor, ledger nano, or android bitcoin wallet. Personally, I like counterwallet as a web bitcoin wallet more than blockchain.info, and these are a couple of other options for bitcoin wallet but only for small amounts, not thousands of $ worth of bitcoin.

vanzandt likes this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

6. vanzandt

vanzandt

That makes perfect sense; thank you.
    So from a privacy standpoint I can see how a prepaid card would pretty much eliminate all anonymity where the rubber meets the road from a Julian Assange NSA knows all perspective; .....but most folk are not out to do ill with BTC's... some just want to join the party.... the easier to join the better. Right?
    Make it easy.
    I wanna buy mine at Dollar General.

BTC is here to stay. So why not... "make it easy"?

I remember years ago I spoke of the concepts of "burner phones" (before they were even heard of) ....and also of VPN's... I was completely shut down by the "experts" at the time. Real visionaries they were huh? "It'll never happen". Yeah right..... They were dead ass wrong on both counts.

The easier it is for BTC to be available to Joe 6-pack... the higher it goes, especially in the light of current geopolitical noise.
    jmho

johnarb likes this.
  7. johnarb

johnarb

You're welcome. It is annoying that it's very difficult to acquire bitcoin. Circle was a good one, until they stopped, and now gotta go to Coinbase (aka GDax). Even now, when I need bitcoin, I have to deal with the difficulties (using virwox and purse io).

From privacy perspective, bitcoin is not even the most "anonymous" cryptocurrency as its blockchain is meant to be public for everyone to see all the transactions incoming/outgoing. To operate privately, the "players" utilize tor, cash, prepaid cc's, bitcoin-tumblers, to name a few.

Funny thing (or ironic). Two of my long-term crypto holdings are on opposite extremes of the "privacy" spectrum, Factom and Monero. Factom is an alternative (to bitcoin) cryptocurrency designed to put public immutable records databases using blockchain technology (actually using bitcoin's blockchain). Factom (the company's) customers include US Government Agencies CBP (Customs Border Protection), DHS (Department of Homeland Security), Bill & Melinda Gates foundation, etc. It's a brick-and-mortar company located in Austin, Texas. Monero has an obfuscated blockchain and was, until recently, the only cryptocurrency accepted on the darknet (as Ethereum will be accepted next month). Enough said.

If you think bitcoin is difficult for the average joe sixpack, both are even harder (in terms of acquiring and having a wallet).

8. Saracen

Saracen

Try qck-card. It come to any name to mailbox for free. Then you need to activate card and pay the activation fee.
    Possible deposit your card with bank transfer or with bitcoins.