Portfolios (S&P500, Nasdaq100, DAX, US Stocks)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Duarte, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Duarte

Duarte

I think I'll buy again SIRI, but I still don´t know when.

Now, I buy other stocks.

Buy alert:

8X8 INC(EGHT) with emergency stop at 6,11.

DCT INDUSTRIAL TRUST INC (DCT) with emergency stop at 6,46.

I picked stocks that are also with the upward direction. The two stocks mentioned above increased their net cash provided by operating activities from 2010 to 2011.

#21     Sep 13, 2012
  2. Duarte

Duarte

Rule:
    All entries and emergency stops must be sent to this " thread " , with a minimum of 5 minutes before the next market opening and automatically placed on the market after the market opens.

UPDATE

Portfolio 1: 1x DAX ETF Portfolio (100% of the benchmark's daily performance)
    ... uses ISHARES DAX (DE) (EXS1) ETF or DB X-TRACKERS SHORTDAX (DXSN) ETF
    [​IMG]

Portfolio 2: 1x S&P 500 ETF Portfolio (100% of the benchmark's daily performance)
    ... uses S&P 500 SPDRs (SPY) ETF or ProShares Short S&P 500 Fund (SH) ETF
    [​IMG]

Portfolio 3: 2x S&P 500 Leveraged ETF Portfolio (200% of the benchmark's daily performance)
    ... uses ProShares Ultra S&P 500 Fund (SSO) ETF or ProShares Ultra Short S&P500 (SDS) ETF
    [​IMG]

Portfolio 4: 3x S&P 500 Leveraged ETF Portfolio (300% of the benchmark's daily performance)
    ... uses ProSharesUltraPro S&P 500 (UPRO) ETF or ProShares UltraPro Short S&P500 (SPXU) ETF
    [​IMG]

Portfolio 5: 1x Nasdaq 100 ETF Portfolio (100% of the benchmark's daily performance)
    ... uses ProShares QQQ Trust (QQQ) ETF or ProShares Short QQQ Fund (PSQ) ETF
    [​IMG]

Portfolio 6: 2x Nasdaq 100 Leveraged ETF Portfolio (200% of the benchmark's daily performance)
    ... uses ProSharesUltra QQQ Fund (QLD) ETF or ProShares Ultra Short QQQ (QID) ETF
    [​IMG]

Portfolio 7: 3x Nasdaq 100 Leveraged ETF Portfolio (300% of the benchmark's daily performance)
    ... uses ProSharesUltraPro QQQ (TQQQ) ETF or ProShares UltraPro Short QQQ (SQQQ) ETF
    [​IMG]

Portfolio 8: US Stock Portfolio
    ... is composed by 5 US stocks.
    [​IMG]

#22     Sep 13, 2012
  3. Duarte

Duarte

Portfolios 1 to 7.
    Is updated with the actual value.
    [​IMG]

#23     Sep 13, 2012
  4. looks pretty good, are you going to move some of those e. stops up to break even after your position is up 5% or more ?

#24     Sep 13, 2012
  5. Duarte

Duarte

I don´t have 2x Leveraged DAX ETFs in the topic, despite that, I prefer to use 2x leveraged ETFs (200% of the benchmark's daily performance).The buy/sell signs are the same that happens with 1x DAX ETF Portfolio.

#25     Sep 13, 2012
  6. Duarte

Duarte

Thank you. If the price go up, I'll move up the emergency stop too, but I still don´t know where I'll place the stop.

#26     Sep 15, 2012
  7. Duarte

Duarte

To use or not to use Leveraged ETFs?

There are some people suggest that we should not use leveraged ETFs, arguing that “volatility destroys Leveraged ETFs” or “Leveraged ETFs lose from compounding”, but I think that we must not do as some suggest because Leveraged ETFs are not as dangerous as they say.

Let's take an example, suppose we bought SSO (2x Leveraged S&P 500 ETF) and UPRO (3x Leveraged S&P500 ETF) at 7/1/12 and held it through today (9/15/12). The underlying S&P 500 Index gained 42, 67% over that period, SPY (S&P 500 ETF) gained 49, 56% (more than 42,67%), SSO gained 99,91% (more than 2x 42,67%= 85,34%) and UPRO gained 152,85% (more than 3x 42,67% = 128,01%).

So, we conclude that, SSO and UPRO reached more than their purposes.

It's not always that way. In periods of extreme volatility, Leveraged ETFs loses value, but also gains more value in other periods.

The leveraged ETFs aren't perfect but I think with reasonable market timing, leveraged ETFs are a good way to increase our returns.

#27     Sep 15, 2012
  8. Duarte

Duarte

Rule:
    All entries and emergency stops must be sent to this " thread " , with a minimum of 5 minutes before the next market opening and automatically placed on the market after the market opens.

UPDATE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#28     Sep 17, 2012
  9. Duarte

Duarte

I'll clarify what I have done so far.

I wrote in the first posts what I do.

I wrote this: "I determine my market posture through a careful analysis of the charts. I observe the market direction - up, down or sideways – with the S&P 500 index, Nasdaq 100 index, Dow Jones index, MSCI ACWI index, Dax index or other leader index where the stock acts. Acting in concert with the market direction, i increase my odds of success."

What I did first? I have carefully looked at the ACWI (iShares MSCI ACWI index Fund)

"The overall market direction is up since the beginning of June. The overall market fall a few days but now went back up and breakout has happened. The breakout suggests that the market direction continues upward. I'm still afraid to be buying in the worst month for the markets, but I also don´t want that the market run away without me. My market posture is bullish."

I wrote this: "When I expect the market will go up, my market posture is bullish. That means, I’m buying stocks and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs). My market posture remains bullish until my "stop" is reached."

That's what I did. I bought stocks and ETFs.

#29     Sep 17, 2012
  10. Duarte

Duarte

The overall market continues pointing in an upward direction. The ACWI (iShares MSCI ACWI index Fund) will continue to rise as long as it remains to build higher highs and higher lows.

[​IMG]

#30     Sep 17, 2012