POLL: What kind of stops do you like?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by candletrader, Jun 26, 2003.

1. funky

funky

i trade 1,2, and 5 minute.....10 cent stop - upon 5-7 cent profit, i move stop to breakeven + 2 cents to cover my commish. i then usually use a more discretionary approach to stops. typically after 15 cents profit, i will exit if more than a 50% retracement occurs. normally, i'll wait for divergence from my macd to create a stop line that, if broken with volume, i will exit. that stop line will continue to hold even if the macds rollover. this allows me to catch a final wave if its there. i will usually scalp my exit on this last wave up (unless my indicators indicate a new setup); that is, as soon as momentum slows down i'm out.

#11     Jun 27, 2003
  2. OHLC

OHLC

Since I subscribed to MrMARKET's services, I fully understand that stops are worthless, so I dont use any anymore.

OHLC

BTW, I had 30 winners in a row yesterday

#12     Jun 27, 2003
  3. stops just above/below resistance/support

#13     Jun 27, 2003
  4. ==============
    Use smaller stops ,preplanned, on a daytrade than a swingtrade;
    I am
    careful not to overtrade,reguardless of trade.

Mostly moving average stops;
    enter close to a moving average or better yet moving averages.

Some [not all] whipsaws can be avoided like trading less during sideways markets,like lately.

Move in when stock for sure is moving my way;
    some stocks have a pattern of less whipsaws tham others.

:cool:

Will switch slowly to a tighter [smaller]moving average as days pass by; a whipsaw can occasionaly be a blessing in disguise-trend is about to end, or go in a sideways trend.

Love,

Murray

#14     Jun 27, 2003
  5. 4 ticks on the ES...sometimes I'll go crazy and risk 5...hehe

Raise/lower it to BE as soon as possible.

#15     Jun 28, 2003
  6. ttrader

ttrader

A stop a day keeps the doctor away ... :D

ttrader

#16     Jun 28, 2003
  7. enrick71

enrick71

Considering the tiny range of those days you don't use stop at all.

#17     Jun 29, 2003
  8. opw

opw

Small? Larger?

Compared to what? Target, price, length, time?:)

#18     Jun 29, 2003
  9. #19     Jun 29, 2003
  10. opw

opw

Sorry missed that one. To me, what is the use of using wide stops, probably from another higher timeframe? In other words, why enter on a smaller timeframe, if you are not going to profit from it.

Although I enter based on the break of the daily hi/lo (with a few other distinctions) I base my stop on the intraday pattern around that break.

To me, that is the whole 'edge' of daytrading... You can keep your losses small.

#20     Jun 29, 2003