Poker books and DVDs

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by gaj, Feb 1, 2009.

1. gaj

gaj

I'm looking for half cover price + shipping on these. If you buy a bunch, I'll cover the (media rate) shipping; buy them all, I'll reduce the price further.

Every Hand Revealed poker book by Gus Hansen. Great book. Paperback, gently worn, no pen / pencil / marker markings in book. Cover 15.95.

Pot Limit Omaha poker by Jeff Hwang. Great book. Paperback, gently worn, no pen / pencil / marker markings in book. Cover 14.95

Sit N Go Strategy poker book by Colin Moshman. Paperback, gently worn, no pen / pencil / marker markings in book. Cover 24.95

Full Tilt Poker strategy guide book. Includes sections from Andy Bloch, Richard Brodie, Chris Ferguson, Ted Forrest, Rafe Furst, Phil Gordon, David Grey, Howard Lederer, Mike Matusow, Huckleberry Seed, Keith Sexton and Gavin Smith. 437 pages. Paperback, gently worn, no pen / pencil / marker markings in book. Cover 29.95

Harrington on Cash Games Volume 1 book. By Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie. 418 pages. Paperback, gently worn, no pen / pencil / marker markings in book. Cover 34.95

Harrington on Cash Games Volume 2 book. By Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie. 374 pages. Paperback, gently worn, no pen / pencil / marker markings in book. Cover 34.95

Daniel Negreanu's Power Hold'Em Strategy poker book. Chapters in the book by Negreanu and Erick Lindgren, Evelyn Ng, David Williams, Todd Brunson and Paul Wasicka. 500+ pages, cover 34.95. Paperback, gently worn, no pen / pencil / marker markings in book.

Professional No-Limit Hold'Em Volume One book. By Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta, Ed Miller. 315 pages, cover 29.95. Paperback, gently worn, some wear on spine, no pen / pencil / marker markings in book.

Pot Limit and No-Limit Poker Bob Ciaffone Stewart Reuben. Paperback book from 1999 in fine condition; slight wear on binder, corners of pages but overall very nice. Cover $25.00

Ed Miller Limit Hold 'Em. 4 DVD set (3 1/2 hours) on reading hands, adjusting your play, protecting your hand and advanced pre-flop concepts. Still sealed, original discs (NO bootlegs!) . From Expertholdem.com, cover 69.95

Rolf Slotboom Winning Plays poker. 4 DVD set (3 1/2 hours) on optimal pre-flop strategies, dynamics of big bet play, play on the later streets and dynamics of limit play. Still sealed, original discs (NO bootlegs!) . From Expertholdem.com, cover 64.95

2. gaj

gaj

still available..

3. gaj

gaj

i got several inquiries, but they fell through. still have these for sale.

if you work in manhattan, i can hand-deliver them.

4. Arnie

Arnie

Just curious. Did any of these help with your play?

5. gaj

gaj

i never opened the DVDs, so i can't comment on those. slotboom's book (not available here) on omaha was pretty good, so i'd guess his DVD would be as well.

the books, yeah, they definitely did. harrington books are great and i got stuff out of all the rest of them. hansen's book is a must-read just to see how he thinks through hands in a tourney.

i stopped playing poker about 6 months ago, so i don't have any use for them any more.

6. jacer

jacer

An offside question:
    Why did you decide to stop?

7. gaj

gaj

fair 'nuf. a bunch of reasons, and probably some i've forgotten:

-> trading is my job. i'd get tired sometime from focusing on trading and then on poker, and then that would effect my main source of income, trading.

-> games got, to me, a bunch tougher.

-> poker became more of an unenjoyable job - at much less hours - than trading.

-> i don't have enough gamble in me in poker. there would be situations i know are +EV short and long term, and i wouldn't take them. but then again, in trading i'm almost exclusively a daytrader because i don't like overnight risk.

so i stopped. i still enjoy watching poker, but playing was getting to be a grind.

8. The Harrington on Cash Games books are excellent - a must read for any serious player. Gus' book is OK if you'd like to see what 2nd, 3rd and 4th level thinking in poker is.

The problem with most books and instruction for the past few years (and why everyone claims the games are getting harder) is they all preach the TAG poker theory. The way to beat the games now is LAG. The only way to play LAG is to have a solid background in TAG. Lots of people skip that step and get killed.

9. jacer

jacer

Sorry, but could you explain TAG and LAG closer?
    Is it an acronym or what?

10. Sure

TAG = Tight Aggressive

TAGs play only the top 10 - 15% of the preflop hand range and mostly in position. They generally open those hands for a raise and play them aggressively post flop. They cold call preflop with mostly premium hands and reraise with only the top 2 - 3%. Most TAGs fear the nutz or even someone with a better hand. Style works well again fish if they can find a steady supply. Not so good against other TAGs and most LAGs.

LAG = Loose Aggressive

LAGs have a much wider range of hands that are played whether in position, raise to or opening with. Wears down the table, puts most on tilt and the TAGs generally only play back at them or try to trap with good hands. Don't confuse a LAG with a Maniac. A good LAG *was* a TAG and know exactly what you're up to.

For instance a LAG will call a preflop raise with 5h6h out of position from a TAG especially if there are more callers knowing the TAGs and TAG callers have most of the "premium" cards in thier hands leaving less for the flop. LAGs catches a non premium flop or backdoor a monster which the TAGs never see coming and stacks the TAGs who don't know how to fold AA or TPTK. If the LAG misses the flop or no draws - simply folds and gets away cheap.

TAGs will steal blinds with KJo. Blinds play back and TAGs scratches head and maybe takes a big loss.

LAG will steal blinds with 96o. Blinds play back and LAGs walk away having stole your blinds 4 times in a row anyway.

Just generalizations.

#10     Jul 21, 2009