Working on it Please bring back "updated since last visit" clue on main page

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by uexkuell, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Thank you for the new look.
    I find it easier for the eyes.

Unfortunately there is one feature missing that was very helpful for me:

In the former version it was possible to see at one glance in which forum subgroup new posts (since last visit) were made through a visual clue on page
    "http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index.php"

Please bring this feature back.

A)
    The "New Posts" button shows all posts in all subgroups.
    This is just unfiltered and therefore too much information.

B)
    Sorry, but the "Follow Forum" button would not be equivalent to the former solution:
    I don't have the time to read so and so many mails that would be the result of this approach.

Looking at a single page and seeing immediately what is new was much superior.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I will see if I can write that function into this software. It won't happen immediately, but I will do my best to get that done ASAP.

3. Thank you for the fast response and for considering the issue.

After using the "new look" now for some days I notice that it is considerable more effort for me to see what is interesting since this clue is missing.

I can't supply this extra time and therefore I won't be able to participate in any new threads without the feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Are you using the Alerts tab at the top right? Because you should be getting very specific indications about what threads you've participated in (or followed) have new content since your last visit.

5. Baron,

The alerts is a duplication of the email alerts, so for me I've typically seen the threads. The new posts listing in the previous format is more user friendly.

6. It's not about the threads I've seen already or participated.

It's about new threads that might hold interesting content for me.
    It's inefficient to look at all the new posts just to find new threads that may be interesting.

This is off-topic for this thread but here is another thing I am missing:

It was quite nice to see at one glance information about how long a posting person is member of ET and how many postings she/he has made.
    It's just nice to see if someone is a newbie (perhaps vendor, spammer ....)

7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Ok, we have new functionality to support that now. So when you are looking at the threads from a particular forum, at the bottom-right of the thread list is a button that says "Follow this Forum". Once you click on that, you are offered to be alerted about new threads started in that forum via Alerts here on the site, or email, or both.

8. Baron, a lot of people have commented on this. It was the same story back in February with the earlier redo. You could eliminate 90% of the complaints by adding this feature back, adding the join date/posts info and changing the overly bright color scheme, hopefully back to classic ET.

People are trying to tell you that they find the user experience degraded. It's not personal, they just loved the old ET. Surely these are not insurmountable technical issues. The fact that I can click around the site and get the info is not a satisfactory answer because as a practical matter, few of us are going to do that.

9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

AAAintheBeltway, let me be very clear. I am bringing this feature back. To you, it may seem like all it takes is a couple of mouse clicks and boom, it's done. Well let me tell you, it's not that easy. That's why you don't see this same feature implemented on all the other forums. So sit back, grab a beer and just let me do my thing.

10. OK, fair enough. Like I said, I am not a software engineer and have no idea what is involved. I'm sure it is frustrating to work on something for a long time, then have us piss and moan. "Classic" ET was kind of the gold standard for user friendliness though, so you set a high bar.

#10     Aug 14, 2014