Platform with good news updates

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Pluralsight, Apr 16, 2017.

1. This might be the wrong question, but even if it is I feel like people will share some knowledge here:

I would like to have a trading platform that will have news as well as fundamental data about companies, macro economy news (interest rate decisions etc) etc all aggregated, instead of me going to various websites and looking for them. Something like how I imagine Bloomberg or Reuters terminals are. I don't know if you could set your IB TWS up like that, perhaps it's possible.

Do you guys know of platforms like that? Or am I doing it wrong/should get my news updates differently?

2. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Will cost you 250-400 bucks for a comprehensive and high quality news feed. Are you prepared to pay such amount?

3. It's possible if I thought that it would be beneficial. Which product/platform do you have in mind?

4. just21

just21

5. xandman

xandman

IBKR has that. It is called IBIS.

6. wartrace

wartrace

How is that going to help you trade? Seems like it would be overwhelming to me. You would be far better off in my opinion to KNOW when major news is being released and trade the reaction to that news.

dealmaker likes this.
  7. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Newsware with dj feed and adding a few others as function of asset class you trade.

8. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

Forget news on ibis. It provides close to zero filter and customization capabilities.

9. If you are looking at this from the point of view of being informed and for fundamental investments (as opposed to quickly trading on the news):

Interactive Brokers' TWS does offer live feed of news. They seem to have the full reuters feed (and come earnings time I usually see it slightly ahead of CNBC). It's pretty tiresome to try to filter it (usually just keyword). And the view is no where near as polished as an Eikon Terminal.

Also the fundamentals given are *very* limited. It has all your basics/popular covered but no customisations for bespoke formulas nor any of the more 'interesting' figures. I think it offers about 200 fields vs. Eikon's

Up from this is the suggestion of Money.net. I've tried this in the early days when it came out and did not see it being any better than IB. Not sure if it's improved but their adverts do not suggest it has improved in the fundamental areas, and still does not hold a candle to Eikon.

Eikon (Metastock Xenith) is the next solution, and for about 150$ you will have lots of news (Reuters) as well as lots of fundamental data points presented. It's quite powerful. However, a lot of the apps included do not work (only for full Eikon customers) and it can get frustrating as they tend to remove apps and not tell you nor explain it to you when you ask why it does not work today. (I once went dow a 3 month debug session to finally be told they pulled support for it for Metasotck customers). As for the raw data/news, a lot of it can be obtained from IB or for free online. So Metastock Xenith is great as a platform to view the data, even if the data is often available free elsewhere.

Funny story, they hide the details on analyst reviews on companies (only give the summary do not give who did what when). However, you can go to IB or Yahoo and see it for free.

After this, the only other fundamental platform I know of is Bloomberg.

So, in summary, the tools out there geared towards Fundamental Analysis and News for investors (as opposed to fast/daily traders) that I know of are:
    IB's TWS
    Money.Net
    Reuters Eikon (or Metastock Xenith)
    Bloomberg

If anyone knows anything else, please share :)

10. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

MetaStock Eikon definitely does NOT contain the full reuters news feed and definitely not IFR markets, Reuter's premium feed. It's a dumbed down version.

#10     Apr 16, 2017