Peter Brandt, ET fav: 'H&S appearing in many equity names'

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by truetype, Jul 5, 2018.

1. truetype

truetype

Maverick1 and d08 like this.
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

I thought you didn't believe in TA...

3. truetype

truetype

Regardless of what I believe, every TA enthusiast on ET self-reports a 3+ Sharpe. Sounds good to me!

4. fan27

fan27

Not a head and shoulders pattern until price breaks the neck line. Stay tuned...

d08 and comagnum like this.
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, tonight is a dead line for Trump's tariff, so fundamentals>>TA.

"The US and China are set to impose tariffs on $34 billion worth of goods from the other country on Friday."

6. My daughter is 20 months old. I am sure she would be able to recognize an H&S formation much the same way she is able to recognize a monkey, a zebra or an apple. (She is also able to recognize numbers, letters and selected words, but that are more advanced tasks.)

You have to ask yourself whether it is reasonable to assume the former skill is enough to outperform the market given e.g. the fiercely defended claim of financial academia that any skill is futile in that endeavor?

7. deaddog

deaddog

That will depend on how she manages her losses.

I wouldn't let her go live for a few more months :)

Xela likes this.
  8. southall

southall

What is the win % on a H&S pattern. Probably not much better than 50%. So not very good at predicting market direction much better than a coin a flip

The point of any signal should be to get a good risk to reward setup. Even if the win rate is 50% then you will still make money in the long run.

So that twitter post is pretty meaning less as a market direction prediction.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  9. I will admit she does not seem to manage losses very well...

comagnum and Lou Friedman like this.
  10. deaddog

deaddog

That comes with maturity. Give her a little time.

#10     Jul 5, 2018
    Maverick2608 likes this.