Optionshouse Experience

Discussion in 'Options' started by SmithTheTrader, Feb 21, 2009.

1. I was seriously thinking of dumping OH and moving to IB for the same reason, but guess I'll stay now :)

Thanks for the tip.

Thanks,

#11     Mar 10, 2009
  2. SForce

SForce

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but I'm going with not.

I've been using OH since November and love the system, I have never used IB so I can't comment one way or another - but I just know I used AON when I first got on there and noticed that the b/a changed and I didn't get filled yet. I didn't want to pay for a 1 out of 20 contract order etc. .. I've gotten some partials, not many. All depends on the option and its liquidity and perhaps some luck. .. The commissions _for me_ far outweigh the risk of a partial and if I got a partial here, I'd get it elsewhere.

#12     Mar 10, 2009
  3. johnnyc

johnnyc

you'll be a lot better off not using AON, especially if you're just trading 10 contracts. putting AON on your order makes it "not held" and worked on a best efforts basis. generally whichever exchange the order was sent to is where it will stay, so unless the size is there at your limit on the exchange the order was originally sent to you're not going to get an execution.

#13     Mar 11, 2009
  4. Oops - sorry for the confusion. That was a great tip and I searched the internet and almost everyone is suggesting the same.

Exchange touches the AON orders only after all non AON orders are filled.

Once again, this was a great lesson for me.

Thanks a lot.

#14     Mar 11, 2009
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

time to move to TOS.

#15     Mar 11, 2009
  6. SForce

SForce

TOS can't match OH's commissions and there isn't an argument that could be made to make me give up the flat options commissions.

#16     Mar 11, 2009
  7. johnnyc

johnnyc

I also should have mentioned that AON orders are not reflected in the current quote, so if you have an AON order that is better than the current best bid/offer it won't be reflected in the quote.

#17     Mar 11, 2009
  8. Very true. My AON bid was better than best BID, still it did not show up in any exchanges.

Just curious, when it is ok to use AON?

Thanks,

#18     Mar 12, 2009
  9. johnnyc

johnnyc

you can use it whenever you want, you just have to realize what happens when you put that qualifier on your order. I personally would only do it in a highly liquid option.

#19     Mar 12, 2009
  10. SForce

SForce

Fairly pointless to put it on a highly liquid option.

I'd only use it when it actually has an effect on what you're trying to accomplish.

#20     Mar 12, 2009